Skip to main content
Topic: Newbie: Can editor have multiple lines (Read 3109 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie: Can editor have multiple lines

Ok, I've never used software for music before, and I've only had this installed for about an hour.  So, this may be a totally dumb question. (I have spent some time in the on-line manual.).

The editor starts at measure 1 and just keeps going to the right, until it is off the screen. Playback illuminates the notes in red, but when it reaches the end of the screen, it keeps going, I just can't see it.

I intended to use this software to play along, so I wanted to have it look more like the printed version (which looks great, by the way).
Is there a way to force a line break at the edge of the screen, or every 4 or 6 measures or whatever.
I'd like playback to show the animated line on screen at all times, so it should scroll up as you move through the piece.

I can't figure it out.

Re: Newbie: Can editor have multiple lines

Reply #1
Before you start playback, select a staff that continues to the end of the song.

For example, if the song is 32 measures long and the staff you select before starting playback is only 8 bars long, NWC will stop scrolling after 8 bars.

The NoteWorthy Composer Viewer works a bit differently. A staff cannot be selected, so it uses the topmost visible staff. If you are designing a song for the Viewer, make sure that the topmost visible staff continues to the end of the song.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2

...So, this may be a totally dumb question. (I have spent some time in the on-line manual.).
There's no such thing as a dumb question from a new user.  Welcome aboard!  You may actually find your answers by using this forum's search feature (upper right corner of this screen), but sometimes figuring out the expression to search for isn't easy.  Anyway, lots of users are quite happy to help when you post a question here.

I intended to use this software to play along, so I wanted to have it look more like the printed version (which looks great, by the way). Is there a way to force a line break at the edge of the screen, or every 4 or 6 measures or whatever.
I never use the Viewer program, so my comments ONLY apply to the main Noteworthy Composer notation editor program.

You can force line breaks, but they will only apply when you look at the music in Print Preview or print it out.  I don't know if it affects the Viewer display.

The editor starts at measure 1 and just keeps going to the right, until it is off the screen. Playback illuminates the notes in red, but when it reaches the end of the screen, it keeps going, I just can't see it.
Rick's answer explains what you need to do.  By way of background, the edit screen will not wrap staffs from one line to another.  If it did, you would not be able to edit a score for a band, choir or orchestra.

You can use Page Setup to pick the staffs that are visible and the ones that are hidden when the edit window is active.  Then you click on a visible staff in the edit window to make it the active one.  During playback the visible staffs in the edit window will scroll from right to left, until you reach the end of the active staff.  Playback will continue, if an inactive staff is longer, but the scrolling will stop.  The scrolling tends to be jagged, so a new bar coming onto the screen may leap to the left.  It doesn't really work for playing along while you have the program play the music.

I'd like playback to show the animated line on screen at all times, so it should scroll up as you move through the piece...
If you wish to view a single staff or a group of staffs like sheet music, use the print preview window.  Unfortunately you cannot play back the file while the Print Preview screen is open, so you won't see any animation.

Reply #3
Hey David, thanks for all the useful tips.
I'm starting to get the hang of it.  I don't know what I did originally where I couldn't see the notes scrolling.  It does scroll.
But, as you say, it isn't that good for playing along, because it is rather jumpy.  It waits until the very last note visible on the screen plays, then it moves to the next location.
It would be nice if the staff would scroll instead, leaving a few measures into the future always visible.

My pet peeve is turning pages :-)

Paul

Reply #4
I don't know what I did originally where I couldn't see the notes scrolling.

Probably you selected a short staff. I mean, one that ends before the others.
Since the reference for scrolling is the selected staff, if the staff ends then the scroll stops.

Reply #5
Hey David, thanks for all the useful tips...My pet peeve is turning pages :-)

You're welcome, Paul.  Re the page turns, I love playing long band charts outdoors on a breezy day - parts that are five or six pages long, especially if the publisher printed double sided to save paper.  Sometimes you have enough rests to allow for clothespegging after the turn, but not always.  There is hardware and software that create digitial music stands - you turn the page with your toe.  Write the music in NWC2x, print to PDF, load that into the gadget, and Bob's yer uncle! 

I have no idea how well they work, but Google turned this one up pretty quickly http://www.musicreader.net/hardware.html