Skip to main content
Topic: sustaining notes across measures (Read 5773 times) previous topic - next topic

sustaining notes across measures

When I have a note with a slur to another note in the next measure, the 2nd note has an attack sound.
How do I continue the sustain (without the attack sound) across the notes in the slur across to another measure?

Re: sustaining notes across measures

Reply #1
Use a tie.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
sagnet, your wording is slightly ambiguous.  If you mean how do you slur 2 notes of the same pitch across a bar line then Rick has the answer.  If you mean how do you prevent the 2nd note of a slur of 2 different pitches from having an attack sound, whether this is possible depends on the instrument assigned to that staff.  A violin, for example, should slur the notes with no attack.  But a piano will produce an attack on all slurred notes.  Lawrie can confirm that the trombone cannot slur notes in the same way as a trumpet since not using the tongue would produce a portamento except for lip slurs between notes using the same slide position.  Most trombone slurs are actually very softly tongued notes with a quick slide position change.

You could force, say, a piano to slur notes with a Pitch Bend MPC with the slurred note's Visibility set to Never and tied to another note of the same pitch.  Just don't audit bar lines in that case!

Reply #3
A violin, for example, should slur the notes with no attack.
If the notes are within a whole step, you can use this for the playing staff:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Instrument|Name:"Violin"|Patch:40
|Key|Signature:C
|TimeSig|Signature:2/4
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Bar
|MPC|Controller:pitch|Style:Absolute|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:32|Pt1:0,8192|Pt2:1,16383|Pt3:1,8192|Pos:-8
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-1
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
There is a Legato Pedal that is supposed to this, but I have not found a synth that implements it. Pitch bend seems to be the only way to do it that is likely to work on most synths.

Reply #4
Pitch bend seems to be the only way to do it that is likely to work on most synths.
Expression MPC's on 2 channels will also work. Tedious, but it sounds good on my synth.

I can never quite figure out if NoteWorthy wants to be a music typesetter, sequencer or a karaoke machine, but if it could implement this as a Performance Style, it would distinguish itself as a sequencer.