Skip to main content
Topic: Global Modification (adp) (Read 6081 times) previous topic - next topic

Global Modification (adp)

Any one can give me an example of how to globally modify "dynamic style" visibility from "default" to "never".

I have tried different ways to enter the expression in user tools' "Global Modification (adp)" but without result.

Re: Global Modification (adp)

Reply #2
Hi Phan Anh,
Peter's script works just fine, or if you want to use Global_Mod, the command to be passed to the script is:
Dynamic Visibility=Never

Note the case.  The tool is case sensitive...

Reply #3
Thank you. Lawrie is right. I have entered the right script without considering case sensitive ! It works now !

Reply #4
Hi again Phan Anh,
glad it worked for you.

Nevertheless, please don't forget Peter's scripts.  While they are not written to have the flexibility of Global_Mod neither do they have its complexity of use.

For the tasks they are written to perform they work very well and I for one appreciate his efforts.

Lawrie

Reply #5
I must really visit this forum more often... :-)

Phan, I'm glad you sorted out the strict-case issue.
I thought about ignoring case when doing comparisons, but I wasn't sure at the time whether NWC was internally case-dependent. I could have a closer look at this and make things less case-dependent some time in the future. But since I am going on holidays soon, it will need to be in several months' time.

One thing I noticed in Peter Edwards' script that I hadn't before, and that is that wscript has alter box capabilities, which could make for easier user input, if a whole dialog can be built. The lack of comprehensive dialog facility is a major annoyance to me.

Everyone, please see another post on tutorial that are being produced for the user tools.

Reply #6
Another feature sorely missed by me is for the user tools to keep the last instruction. When multiple staves are being massaged...
The program has great potential. Thanks for the work to date.

Reply #7
Hi Kevin,
Another feature sorely missed by me is for the user tools to keep the last instruction;
ahhh, it does...  I use the functionality all the time...

For Global_Mod I have:
Global Mod with paramater box

The actual command is:
php\php.exe Scripts\adp_GlobalMod.php <PROMPT:Enter your global modification expression:=*>

Which generates a dialogue box into which I can enter my Global_Mod command E.G.:
Text,Pos>=8,Font==StaffBold Font=User1

I use something like this to convert my text chord markings from "StaffBold" to, say, "Inkpen2 Script" in order to help make my charts look more "jazzy" - some of my fellow musicians in the big band are a bit anal about how charts should look.  :)  Me, I just need to be able to read 'em which can be _very_ hard with some of the hand written ones...

For the first staff, <Alt-F8>, select the command, <Enter>, input the above Global_Mod command, <Enter>

Thence <Page-Down>, <Alt-F8>, <Enter>, <Enter> and repeat for all staves.

Unfortunately I don't remember where I learned this - perhaps the NG...

Lawrie

Reply #8
Lawrie, just out of curiousity, do you need the user tool to change the font for your chords?  Unless you're using StaffBold for something else too, you could just modify it to be Inkpen, etc. through File/Page Setup/Fonts/Modify.

Reply #9
Hi David,
...just out of curiousity, do you need the user tool to change the font for your chords? Unless you're using StaffBold for something else too, you could just modify it to be Inkpen...

That was just an example, but it depends on the work.

Sometimes StaffBold is used elswhere, sometimes not.

In any case, as a standard I now use User1 for text chords.  Thus I can set it for any font I want without upsetting anything else.

Actually my standard template setup for jazz charts is now:
Staff Italic....... = 12pt Inkpen2 Script BoldItalic
Staff Bold........ = 12pt Inkpen2 Script Bold
Staff Lyric....... = 12pt Inkpen2 Script Regular
Page Title Text. = 36pt Inkpen2 Script Bold
Page Text........ = 12pt Inkpen2 Script Regular
Page Small Text = 8pt Inkpen2 Script Regular
User1.............. = 14pt Inkpen2 Chords Regular - for text chords
User2.............. = 12pt Boxmark2InkPen Regular - for rehearsal marks
User3.............. = 18pt Boxmark2InkPen Regular - for multibar rests etc.
User4.............. = unaltered
User5.............. = unaltered
User6.............. = unaltered

The Inkpen fonts came with a demo of some other notation software that I didn't like much - dreadful user interface, nice font... :)

The Boxmark2InkPen font is something I cobbled together from several sources - Rolf Miezitis is doing something much more formally about a jazz Boxmark font (getting permission etc.) and I will likely use whatever he finalises on in order to be "standardised" for sharing works.

I am also using a modified NWC2STDA font for jazz charts built from Robert Morris' jazz font for NWC1 - Rolf is doing something more formally about this too.

Oh for the day when NWC will give us font options for the music symbols themselves instead of the current "change installed font" mess around we now have.  Nearly all of my charts now look like jazz ones 'cause I hate changing back and forth!  (hint, hint)

Lawrie

Reply #10
Hi, there.
I did a Google search for the Inkpen2 font family (Inkpen2 Script, Inkpen2 Chords, etc.) and it led me here.
My hard drive recently crashed and I lost these fonts, but I can't seem to find them at the other sites Google led me to.
Could somebody help me out?
I greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,

The Edge

Reply #11
The Inkpen font is part of Sibelius.  We don't often talk about it here (grin), but a quick Google search will take you to its home page.  You might see if downloading one of its demos will also download the font, but I have no idea if it does or not.

Reply #12
I did find the Sibelius site during the Google search and at first found nothing.
Upon revisiting the site, I found a plugin (Scorch) to install which contained the fonts.
Thanks for your help.

The Edge

Reply #13
glad to find a solution