Skip to main content
Topic: Courtesy Ledger Lines (Read 3368 times) previous topic - next topic

Courtesy Ledger Lines

Is there a way to have NWC2 show courtesy ledger lines when the insertion point is located above or below the staff?  They of course do show after a note is entered, but it would be beneficial to be able to see prior to note entry just how far the insetion point is away from the staff.  Have I missed this somewhere?

Re: Courtesy Ledger Lines

Reply #1
That would be really useful!

Reply #2
Use a second staff, set to as many lines as you like, and make it a different colour.  Fill it with hidden rests and hidden bar lines, make it as long as you need, and perhaps make the style open (hidden ending bar line), then layer it.

When you're entering notes on your main staff, it will be active and only the equivalent of the leger lines will show in colour.

My first idea was to work with hidden grace notes in chords with two very high and low notes. but the layered staff is much easier to work with.

Reply #3
Thank you David...

This is going to do the trick.  I set the color of the 'leger line' staff to the light yellow highlight.  I find that it is best to have no bar lines, and that it is not necessary to hide the rests.  It seems best to select all the rests and just move them down to where they are completely off the staff and out of the way.

I do appreciate your help.