Skip to main content
Topic: Importing midis - why doesnt it work good? (Read 5639 times) previous topic - next topic

Importing midis - why doesnt it work good?

Hi,

I have wondered that why doesn't the importing midis -tool work good in NW Composer? In NWPlayer it works fine, and puts all notes in right places, but in Composer program all tempos, notes and so on are messed up. Why can't you use the same importing tool in Composer than you use in Player?

Re: Importing midis - why doesnt it work good?

Reply #1
Our Player and Composer products use the same import engines. The differences are:

1 - The player actually plays back the MIDI performance, rather than the notation created by the import (so it will usually sound better than the playback of an imported score in NWC).

2 - The player does NOT include options that let you control how a piece is imported.

Perhaps the added flexibility in NWC is causing some confusion for you. Try setting you note resolution to 32nd notes, your rest resolution to Quarter Notes. This matches the settings used by the player (behind the scenes).

Reply #2
Thanks for the info.

It seems strange that the Player can notate the midi perfectly, where the Composer fails to do the job.

Well, I'll try the suggested values.

Reply #3
It might help if you explained what you mean by "fails to do the job", since Player and Composer do exactly the same thing when it comes to notating a MIDI performance.

Reply #4
Well, at first, I wasn't aware that the player plays the MIDI instead of the notation...

The thing I meant was that in Composer, when I import a MIDI file, the playback is "sticky", so all notes and rests are not the right length and it doesn't sound the same as when the MIDI is normally played.

I hope you understood this :) If not, I can send you an example file.

Reply #5
"Sticky" is a good description!
To create readable notation, NWC "quantizes" the note lengths (and rest lengths), which are configurable in the import wizard. "Stickiness" occurs when those lengths don't suit the music being played (NB: triplets [and any odd tuplets] don't import well into NWC at the moment).
Try fiddling with note lengths and see what you can trade off between readability and what sounds right.

Andrew

Reply #6
Is it possible to hope for a triplet-recognizing NWC?
That is one of the few doors standing behind it and
perfection

Reply #7
I vote for the MIDI import to interpret triplets!!!