Skip to main content
Topic: chant recitatives (Read 3413 times) previous topic - next topic

chant recitatives

I am inputing music for church (Eastern Orthodox- from the 4-part "Russian" style), and have many passages with 'recitatives'- several words, oir phrases on a single note. What I currently do is use 3 quarter notes: one at the beginning, one in the middle, and one at the end of the recitative. UNder the middle quarter, I add all of the text, (using the underscore) except the first and last sylable (which I out on the first and last quarter not respectively)- and then 'hide' the middle note. I'd prefer a double-barreled note, but that would be a lot to adjust-spacing, font, and can I put text under that- what about if the notes need ledger lines? I've tried using only 2 quarter notes, and have the lyrics line up at the beginning of the notes, but then it looks odd- Currently, the 3 note method is fairly easy- quicker than the double-barraled- I think- but NWC puts extra space around the recitative? Any way around this, or any easier way to notate recitatives? I think the barreled note would be too much trouble for the number of hymns I'll be doing-unless anyone has some tips on that?

Re: chant recitatives

Reply #1
Dear Michael,

I work with the same kind of music, partly in Swedish and partly in Church Slavonic, using a technique that is similar to yours (I could send you a sample, if you're interested). The best thing, however, would be to have a special note added to NoteWorthy: a "whole" with two short vertical lines on each side, to be used for recitations. Currently, I sometimes insert this note from a different font as "text", but then I have problems with the exact placement and with leger lines. So, please, add this wish for a "brevis"(??) to the wish list - I did so already several months ago but maybe it helps if we're more than one...

Paul Nordgren, Stockholm Sweden
paul.nordgren@telia.com

Reply #2
...a double-barreled note...

Sounds like a weapon!
AAAAUUUUGGGGHH!!!!!!!

Reply #3
Transcribing music written pre- 1600 needs breves and their associated rest. I have used two workarounds, depending on circumstances. Both involve hidden notes.

1.  Insert a single, hidden semibreve and temporarily reduce the tempo by half. Add a text breve for display using the Boxmarks font

2. Hide a pair of tied semibreves and insert a text breve symbol for display.

Neither is entirely satisfactory because, as Paul says, there can be problems getting the text symbol properly placed.

I shall now go to the suggestion box.

Geoff

Reply #4
I work on related material (traditional Slavonic chant, rather than the "Common Chant"), and I have the same problem.  Just want to second the motion.  And it will not be just we Pravoslav types who want chant notation; Western chant people will need this too.

Stephen

Reply #5
I'm trying to write opera recitative, that is to say, without bar lines. It's possible for the voice of course but the accompaniment is impossible it seems. Please make this a priority Noteworthy.

Reply #6
I'm not sure why you're saying it's not possible, there's no reason you couldn't write with no barlines. This is in fact one of the big advantages of NWC over all other similar programs of which I'm aware.

However, there will be difficulty in trying to print a score with no barlines. What you have to do is to put a barline on all staves wherever you want a system break (set the System Break checkbox for the top staff just to be sure).

Reply #7
In this situation, the best bet is to use hidden bar lines (set from the bar line Visibility properties).