Skip to main content
Topic: Page layout (Read 3639 times) previous topic - next topic

Page layout

Before I put my request in Wishlist I would like the feedback from others because this wish of mine does not seem to be particularly requested. I would like to see a page format. I will give an example to show what I mean. I get a request from an orchestra member who wants a certain piece transposed but for the layout to remain the same. Please bear with me if I use Passport's Encore just as an example. I would indicate how many measure per staff I require, how many staffs per page and if it uses up all my pages, I would add a page. Then I would add measure numbers. I would then check that the measures and layout exactly match the piece I am copying in. When this is completed, I just have to enter in all the notes and change keys, time, etc accordingly. Then I save as midi and enter into Noteworthy to fill in details, dynamics, etc. Without this initial formatting of the score in Noteworthy, I find it very difficult to know exactly where I am in the score. This is why I would request something similar in the Wishlist. Any comments?
Thanks from Gord.

Re: Page layout

Reply #1
I think many of us come to Noteworthy with this mind set of needing things to fit into that framework. Looking at some of the old scores (esp. for piano) though, not many publishers bothered being so dogmatic.
It may be a case of loosening up, to go with Noteworthy's flow, as it were. By all means, put your submission to the list, but I think Noteworthy made a fairly conscious decision to NOT look like all the other editors, and so were able to dispense with the baggage that went with that. Of course, this has minuses when we DO want things to fit neatly... :-)
Whilst you're at it, maybe you'd like to wish for being able to say where a stave should start "on the next line". With the appropriate routines, this sort of approach could emulate the behaviour that you wish for, but would allow more scope for those of us who don't mind being more sloppy, but still need critical breaks in certain places.

Andrew

Reply #2
Thanks Andrew. I see your point and if I put this request in the Wishlist, I will also mention about being able to start a stave on a new line. I notice that Finale uses a similar style of scoring as you go as does NWC, and they are supposed to be the big time notator. I will have to try to change my mindset but what do I say when I return a transposed piece to my colleagues and have them say "But it doesnt look like the original". It would be nice to have the option. Thanks.
Gord.

Reply #3
Maybe I didn't understand all because your message is long
and I do not have a perfect command of english language.

But I think you ask for two things.
First, a WYSIWYG interface for entering scores, so that you
can control what you are entering.
Second, a "staff break", so that you can control how you
print scores.

Personnally, I don't need the first demand. If it can exist
as an option, it can be a fine feature. But I would strongly
disagree to have a WYSIWYG interface in place of the current
one.

But about the second demand, I would place it in first
position in the wish list. I thought that I already done
it, but I'm not sure because my system crashed at the
same time and I haven't the courage to do it again.
Anyway, I thought this feature would be included in 1.5,
or am I wrong ?