Skip to main content
Topic: Quantizing and recording (Read 4244 times) previous topic - next topic

Quantizing and recording

Why is it that when I record all of the notes seem to get bundled together in a mass of dischordal pileups instead of the fluid 16th, 32nd, or even 64th notes that I am playing in real-time recording mode ? I have done this a number of times on both keyboard (Roland/Yamaha) and guitar (GI-10) using Passport MusicTime, and it seemed very straightforward to setup and use. I can't seem to make a go of it in NWC. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks In Advance.

Re: Quantizing and recording

Reply #1
You can:

- Set defaults for import in the Tools | Options | Import tab

- Import a specific sequence with custom settings via the Staff | Import Recording command

Reply #2
ok I recorded about 6 measures by pressing the record button. After the recording was complete, I pressed stop (which is supposed to place the recorded performance in a buffer). When I went to Staff, Import Recording, I got an error saying "There is not any music in the recording buffer. You need to record a performance before this command can be used."
As for the first suggestion about the Tools|Options|Import , The following are the settings that are in use currently - Notate Pedal Marks - Checked; Automatic Beam - Checked; Insert Instrument Changes - Checked; Detect Compound Time - Checked; Note Resolution - Sixtyfourth Note; Rest Resolution - Sixteenth note; Seperate MIDI channels - Checked; Maximum single track chord size - 48
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it's been a few evenings' time trying alot of things that aren't working...
Help :(

Reply #3
If the buffer is empty, then nothing was recorded. You need to check your MIDI input setup. First, make sure you can do step entry (Tools | MIDI Input Active). Then, load up a rhythm template and start recording. Play something on the keyboard in time with the rhythm. After you press Stop, your performance will be in the buffer.

Reply #4
Ok, I opened and loaded a rhythymn template. When I went to start the recording process, I got an error which stated that the file had been created by a registered user and that I couldn't change the file. I also tried opening a new score first and then opening the template, but with the same results.
Help (still)...
tia

Reply #5
You have to use File | New

Reply #6
I'm afraid that this just may not work. I've been successful at using step entry on the keyboard but as soon as I try playing anything with any more resolution than a quarter-note, everything becomes jumbled. Strange that software should act this way...

Reply #7
SUCCESS!!! I got it to record and it did play back a single right hand. SO, how about the same thing without a rhythymn template ???

Reply #8
Possible, I suppose, if you've got "perfect time" :)

Seriously, the purpose of the rhythm template is to give you a "metronome" to play against, preventing that mess of 64ths and other strange creatures in your midi import.

Reply #9
Exactly. You can create any rhythm file that you want. It can be as simple as just a tap on the ride cymbal, or whatever. NWC uses this rhythm play back in order to analyze your performance. Without it, your performance would be unbounded rhythmically, and the resulting notation would be unpredictable.