Skip to main content
Topic: Changing TeXt font & size (Read 5036 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing TeXt font & size

I regularly inclue guitar chords with my music, and am surprised that there seems to be no way to change the font or size of the text when using the TeXt option. The default is too large, and complicated chords that change every note run into each other (eg: Fm7/C F#dim/E). Suggestions?

Re: Changing TeXt font & size

Reply #1
One option is to use the first lyric line as the chord line. I have several old song books which show the chords below the melody staff. This is one way if you don't mind the position of the chord. You can use lines 2 and up for lyrics if you need to.

If you still want to use TEXT and put chord names above the melody staff make sure you use the BOLD font. Minimize the use of letters in the chord name by using M = Major m = minor, - = dim, + = aug.

I too have several notated arrangement which have a chord change on each note in a measure. Primarly occurs in an ending or other measure where the held note is also a part of other chords. I use bold text and put all chords in the text expression line such as Bb7 Eb Eb7 is an example covering 3 notes. You will have to juggle the spacing to see how it looks on the screen. You should be able to come pretty close. If the measure is an ending measure then make sure that EXTEND LAST SYSTEM is check in the GENERAL Page setup. Hope I have helped you, but then again maybe others can come up with a more satisfactory answer. However, I have found that the printout of only the melody line will squish the three chord symbols together. This will not occur if there is another staff with notes on it and you print both staffs at the same time. I will send you an example if you send me an E-Mail request.

Reply #2
Another way to handle the problem occurred to me.

1. Enter all the chord names in the text expression box (i.e Bb Eb B7). uncheck preserve width. Choose Bold Font.

2. use either line 1 or line 2 in the lyrics (assuming there are lyrics) and pad an unobtrusive character in one of the lines(I use a period) which will increase the distance between notes. You will have to fiddle with the spacing to allow for the space required for your text expression showing several chord changes on successive notes.

Reply #3
One option is to use the first lyric line as the chord line. I have several old song books which show the chords below the melody staff. This is one way if you don't mind the position of the chord. You can use lines 2 and up for lyrics if you need to.

If you still want to use TEXT and put chord names above the melody staff make sure you use the BOLD font. Minimize the use of letters in the chord name by using M = Major m = minor, - = dim, + = aug.

I too have several notated arrangement which have a chord change on each note in a measure. Primarly occurs in an ending or other measure where the held note is also a part of other chords. I use bold text and put all chords in the text expression line such as Bb7 Eb Eb7 is an example covering 3 notes. You will have to juggle the spacing to see how it looks on the screen. You should be able to come pretty close. If the measure is an ending measure then make sure that EXTEND LAST SYSTEM is check in the GENERAL Page setup. Hope I have helped you, but then again maybe others can come up with a more satisfactory answer. However, I have found that the printout of only the melody line will squish the three chord symbols together. This will not occur if there is another staff with notes on it and you print both staffs at the same time. I will send you an example if you send me an E-Mail request.

Reply #4
Several chord symbols can be entered in the TEXT expression box. The entries are shown in a fixed position above the note/staff. In some instances the group of chord symbols will overlap to the next measure. LYRIC entries below the staff increase the distance between notes depending upon the word length. If only a whole note is involved in the measure than pad a line of periods (.............) to force the measure to increase its width to include the chord symbols. In other words use lyric words and/or padded periods (...........)as a way to increase the horizontal distance between notes. You may have to tweak both the TEXT expression and the LYRIC line to obtain the best lineup.

Reply #5
how to i change the text size

Reply #6
To Shaun

The text size and lyric size (whichever you use) can be selected and modified under the menu item FILE > PAGE SETUP.

To Don

Using - as a diminished chord symbol worries me - this is often used for minor chords.
How about ° (Alt0176) for diminished and Ø (Alt0216) for half-diminished (m7b5) chords.