Skip to main content
Topic: Cresendos/Decresendos (Read 4186 times) previous topic - next topic

Cresendos/Decresendos

I've been working with MIDIs for years with various programs, and I'm still trying to figure out how cresendos, decresendos, ritandos, rallitandos, diminuentos, etc., work on NWC. I know it has something to do with the Multi-Point Controller, but all I see on that that relates to this as far as bending is pitch bend. How are these done?

Re: Cresendos/Decresendos

Reply #1
Multipoint Controllers _can_ be used for dynamic variances, but are not essential. The beauty of NWC is that not only are dynamics (pp, p, ... mf ... f, ff etc.) obeyed in playback, so are the dynamic variances "cresc." and "decresc." Either of these will give a smooth variance in note velocity (loudness). For example, if your staff is a given dynamic level (e.g. mf), and you put a "crescendo" or "decrescendo" at a certain point, the effective loudness will gradually increase (or decrease) to the value indicated by the next dynamic marking.

Suggest studying the online help file for more information on this.

Reply #2
Crescendo and diminuendo are handled to best effect by using a) the Override Default Note Velocity option and b)the Override Default Midi Volume options in the dialogue box that comes up when you're selecting an initial dynamic and a terminal dynamic.

By playing with these settings (try overriding the default midi volume first - put in a mumber between 1 and 127) you can vary the volume and the attack at the beginning of your crescendo and at the end.

Reply #3
Sorry, I don't agree with Lester on that one.
To my mind, cresc. and dim. work best as follows.

Put your starting dynamic wherever.

Follow it with a cresc. or dim.

Finish off with the final dynamic.

NB: cresc., dec. and dim. will ONLY work if there is a dynamic somewhere before it in the staff, and another somewhere after it on the staff. (So that it knows its start and stop levels).

Andrew

Reply #4
That's what I read in the help doc, however, no significant change can be heard, even if the beginning dynamic is fff and the ending dynamic is ppp

Reply #5
Some sound cards/software synths do not support velocity volume changes during a SINGLE note.
If you can not hear a change over several notes your sound production equipment may not respond to velocity/volume changes at all.

Reply #6
One for the wish list as well:
After we got the magnificent font called Boxmarks, I'd like the ability to turn off printing of dynamic variances. If you double the input with dynamic variance 'Cresc' for playback, and Boxmark < for printing it looks a bit awkward on the paper!

Reply #7
I am using Creative AWE64, it should support "velocity volume changes during a SINGLE note", right?

I tested NWC. I insert "AltoSax {#66}" then "fff" then "cresc." then a "whole note" and then a "ppp". Can't get the smooth decresendo out of that.

Then I change the whole note into 4 quarter notes, the volumn reduction works, but not smooth. So I put "Tie" on all of them, the result is the same, I can't get the smooth decresendo out of that.

Any suggestion on how can I do that?

Reply #8
By default, dynamic variances affect only the VELOCITY (which is assigned when the note is struck). In order to get dynamic variances while a note is playing, you have to vary the channel VOLUME. This is done by over-riding the default volumes in the dynamics (fff, p, etc.). If you do this, then cresc. and decresc. should operate as expected on a single whole note (or tied quarters, which is essentially the same thing from a midi standpoint).

nb: SB16's are, in my experience, not very good at following volume instructions. Among other things, like 'pedal release'...