Skip to main content
Topic: NIFF (Music Notation proposed standard) (Read 4030 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NIFF (Music Notation proposed standard)

Reply #1
Yes it is. It's great for taking files from app to app. Musitek makes scanning software, Midiscan and Pianoscan, I have Midiscan. I would love to take scanned sheet music into any program I want using NIFF. So far only one other program supports NIFF, that's Lime. OK program, but not the best. I heard Encore was going to support NIFF prior to the close of Passport. I also heard of a few other programs that might pick up NIFF, Overture, Cakewalk, and some others. My plea to publishers of music software, "The technology exists so please use it."

Reply #3
I pasted the address out of the message above and copied it
into the URL field on my browser... worked fine. I believe
it's correct. I'm using Netscape 4.5, but the URL looks
pretty vanilla-flavored to me, except for the closing slash,
which is optional for Netscape 3.1 and later. Try without
the slash (that also works for me)

Reply #4
I agree that standardization would be a wonderful thing, and would encourage NoteWorthy ArtWare to take a look at the NIFF standard.

There are three sequencers/scoring programs that I use, and each has its own format. The only way to convert between them to take advantage of relative strengths is import/export via midi -- definitely not the best solution.

There's a good description and demo of what NIFF is all about at http://www.musitek.com/niff.html