Skip to main content
Topic: Ending with Repeat Close (Read 4299 times) previous topic - next topic

Ending with Repeat Close

I'd like to end a piece with a Master Repeat Close.

How can I do this so that the final Section Close is not
there?

I end up with the repeat, then an empty measure prior to the
closing bar.

There HAS to be a better way. HHHEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!

Re: Ending with Repeat Close

Reply #1
This is one that I hope Eric will fix soon. Currently, the most elegant way I have used (and I needed to do SOMETHING, since I was publishing in a book) is to have a special ending, and do something slightly different on the second one (so that it looks like that's what you wanted all along ;) It has made my pieces more musical, though not as concise as I wanted.

Eric, please don't forget this little problem.

A

Reply #2
Another thing you can try is to pad out that last quasi-bar with a whole bunch of text (a long string of underscores works well). Then fiddly with your staff sizes and spacings to make that last bar "orphan" itself out onto the last page. When you print, just don't print that last page!

If you have access to the newsgroup, check out the first message of the thread "Converting NWC files to PDF". There's an attachment which you can view on your Adobe Acrobat reader which demonstrates this technique.

Reply #4
Doh! Linked to the wrong thread... Sorry.

Reply #5
This is an occasion (Fred's solution) where the oft requested optional page break would do the trick. Put it on your wish list!

Reply #6
I needed this for a book, too. I got over the problem by exporting the finished music as a graphic from the page view (I used an WMF file in pagemaker 6.5) and then editing the graphic so that the last repeat was engineered to be the end of the final bar.

Reply #7
I needed this once, and did +/- as Fred N. (but don't have a last orphan page : it's just out of the printable zone).
Look at http://www.mygale.org/05/madmarsu/doeba.zip (once more)

HTH
      Dominique
P.S. Add this to the wish list :-)