Skip to main content
Topic: Help! No sound! (Read 4973 times) previous topic - next topic

Help! No sound!

My NoteWorthy used to play sounds both when I entered music myself and when I played MIDIs, but one day I downloaded a MIDI and now it won't play at all anymore! I think there might have been an error message when I tried to play the MIDI before it stopped working, but I din't remember.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling NoteWorthy and nothing will work! Please help!

Also, please reply in LAMEN'S terms, for both computer and musical jargon (sp?).  I'm not "fluent" in either.

Re: Help! No sound!

Reply #1
Hi Enilorac54321,
couple of things:
1) do you get any other sound - like when Windows starts etc.?
If not then it would be worth checking things like your volume settings and whether sound is muted.

2) Does media player work aside from MIDI's ?

3) Check your MIDI settings in NWC.  Click Tools | Options | Midi (tab).  Look in the right most field and check what devices are used by playback.  There should be an entry for your sound card in there.  If not or if there is but there are also others then remove the ones that don't belong by double clicking them.  If this leaves none, then in the left most field there should be a list of available devices.  Double click the ONE that most matches your sound card.  E.G if you have a SoundBlaster Audigy you would click on "SB Audigy 2 Synth A..."

Lawrie

Reply #2
Laymen's terms (sorry to be a boar)

Reply #3
Well, at least Caroline wrote MIDIs (which is correct) as opposed to Lawrie's MIDI's...

Reply #4
Boy, is you a clever dickie! Did you read it in the mirror of Erised?

Reply #5
Actually, I just "see" things rather quickly.
It's a gift/curse.
Sometimes it ruins puzzles for me - I solve them before I even get a chance to look at them...

Reply #6
Did you try clicking just before the first note and then press play?

Reply #7
I experienced the same problem after having played a MIDI file.  The answer is now in FAQ - but I've also placed it here:

After playing a MIDI file, the SW Synth volume is set to 0:

1 - Double click on the Speaker in the notification area.
2 - Look for the SW Synth volume level.  Raise the control.

Reply #8
Hmm, to clarify a little - latest versions of m$ media player have a bad habit of dropping MIDI synth volumes to nothing...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #10
Caroline,
I hope your sound system is sound again, now.
And... if your password is 12345Caroline, change it.
cheers,
Rob.