Skip to main content
Topic: Compatibility with virtual synthetiser (Read 2752 times) previous topic - next topic

Compatibility with virtual synthetiser

My sound card is a Waveterminal 192M from ESI which fits my needs withy regard to the use of 2 electrodynamic microphons, several lines input and output ... and works well.

Itis a "modern device" as said by the vendor ... and therefore not compatible with soundfonts that are stored into the hardware.
The vendor speaks of software "virtual synthetiser" like VMS64, performing much better (maybe!) and which substitute to the sound card when the score editor 'FINALE, Encore etc...) plays the music.

Question: Will it work with my prefered software (I mean NWC)? Is NWC compatible with the recent Virtual synthetiser technology ?

Re: Compatibility with virtual synthetiser

Reply #1
Yes, as long as the virtual synthesizer includes a MIDI device driver. NWC can access any synthesizer, regardless of its technology, as long as it provides a Windows' MIDI device driver for accessing it.

PROBLEM : Virtual Music Synthesizer 64 _ VMS64 and Windows auto-update

Reply #2
There is a huge compatibility problem between Virtual Music Synthesizer 64 (VMS64) and Windows auto-update "update.exe" :

The "Update.exe" module that allows to install the udaptes of Microsoft Windows doesn't work anymore.
The following message pops up : "Not enough storage is available to process this command."
This means that at that point NO FURTHER WINDOWS UPDATE WILL BE POSSIBLE (Security Updates a.s.o...).
Tracks of this error are found in the log files :
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Example :
[KB917734.log]
0.031: ================================================================================
0.031: 2006/06/15 18:54:45.421 (local)
0.031: c:\dacbf25546e2c9f4f3c007\update\update.exe (version 6.2.29.0)
0.031: InitializeCustomStringTable: Failed to create a custom string table.
0.047: Not enough storage is available to process this command.
760.734: Message displayed to the user: Not enough storage is available to process this command.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Uninstall VMS64 and everything returns to NORMAL (AutoUpdate will start to work again).