Skip to main content
Topic: Prodikeys (Read 9637 times) previous topic - next topic

Prodikeys

Anyone use these keyboards from Creative Labs for inputting notes to NWC?  Is it possible? Are they any good?

Re: Prodikeys

Reply #1
G'day Swamplady,
theoretically, it is possible to input to NWC from any MIDI keyboard.

I have an older Creative product called "Blasterkeys" that works fine, I just don't use it 'cos I'm not a keyboard player and am not up to the task!

As for whether the "Prodikeys" product is any good - that's a harder question.  Personally I think I would find it awkward having a set of piano keys in front of my normal keyboard.  Where would I rest my wrists? (I don't always have the best posture!)  I guess you'll have to figure that one out for yourself...

Happy new year!
Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Prodikeys DM works fine.

Reply #3
Works fine, but I prefer a different method.

I have a keyboard sitting perpendicular to my computer desk.  I use it for working out music which I record using the keyboard's internal memory.  Later, I input the notes into NWC manually.

Reply #4
Prodikeys works fine, but I don't like to use it as a normal (PC) keyboard, as the quality is not as good as I'd like. Mind you, that was the old version - the newer one might be better.
I also find the (piano) keyboard in front a bit awkward, although there is a cover to put over them when you're not using them.
I ended up using two keyboards with a KVM switch, which is a bit awkward (and not 100% successful if it's a mechanical, rather than electronic switch), so I abandoned it in the end and went back to a dedicated MIDI keyboard.

Robin

Reply #5
I would want it for just music input, not for a pc keyboard.  Wasn't sure if this was any better than a regular midi keyboard.  (Much faster to play the music than trying to type in the notes etc.  Plus it would make transposing so much easier!)

Reply #6
If you simply want to input notation fairly quickly (rather than record MIDI in real time), you need ideally to be able to access both your QWERTY ('PC') keyboard and your MIDI ('piano') keyboard at the same time.  I think it is primarily a matter of ergonomics and what will fit into your available space.  What make of MIDI keyboard you acquire is immaterial provided it will do the business.
What works for me is as follows:
I have a corner-desk set-up, with my monitor (screen) in the corner, my QWERTY keyboard in front of the monitor as for normal word-processing etc., and my MIDI keyboard on the right-hand 'arm' of the desk so that it is at 45 degrees (or 135 degrees?) to the monitor.  I also have a swivel-chair but this is not essential!  With this arrangement I can input notes on the MIDI keyboard with my right hand whilst attending to note duration, bar lines, accidentals, ties, slurs etc. with my left hand on the QWERTY keyboard.
Originally I had a 4-octave MIDI keyboard that had small (piano-accordion?) size keys.  It didn't occupy too much desk-space, but I found it was not so convenient for inputting chords - my fingers are too fat!  I now have a 4-octave MIDI controller keyboard with regular (piano) size keys and I find this much more convenient.  You can get 2-octave keyboards, but I find 4 octaves is a good compromise because it also enables me to audition stuff with two hands when necessary.
HTH - Graham

Reply #7
Thanks to all for your input.  I think I am going to find a small midi that allows multiple octaves. Gotta cover the range for tenor, alto and soprano saxes for these songs.  Thanks for your help!

Swamplady