Skip to main content
Topic: Sending commands to MIDI synth (Read 4763 times) previous topic - next topic

Sending commands to MIDI synth

I'm using a Roland Juno-D synth with Noteworthy 2. I'd like to send commands to the synth from within my Noteworthy score, specifically Bank Select and Program Change.

Bank Select appears to be straighforward; however I can't see any way to send a Progam Change command. Apparently the syntax for this command is CnH ppH, where n is the MIDI channel number and pp is the program number.

Does anyone know if this command can be generated within Noteworthy?

Re: Sending commands to MIDI synth

Reply #1
Program Change is the Patch Name.

If you have managed a bank select, you may be more comfortable with:
Patch List Type: "Numeric, 0 Based" than "General MIDI"
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
OK, maybe this isn't as straightforward as it first seemed. To select a patch in my synth, the manual says:

1. Transmit a value for the Bank Select MSB (controller number 0) (BnH 00H mmH) message.
2. Transmit a value for the Bank Select LSB (controller number 32) (BnH 20H llH) message.
3. Transmit a Program Change (CnH ppH)

where
n = MIDI channel number
mm,ll = Bank number
pp =  program number

So, can I accomplish steps 1 and 2 with a single Noteworthy "Instrument Change" command? That is, suppose I wanted to send 085 as the MSB and 000 and the LSB, is is just a matter of entering them in the appropriate fields and making sure that "Send Bank Select" is checked?

I ask this because the synth seems to be ignoring the command, and there aren't a lot of tools for debugging what's actually being sent between Noteworthy and the synth!

Reply #3
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2108 has a link to a utility that may help you.
It will show you exactly what is being sent.
If you suspect things are being sent in the wrong order, you can use it to shuffle things around.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
G'day Peter,
...and there aren't a lot of tools for debugging what's actually being sent between Noteworthy and the synth!

If you visit http://www.midiox.com/ you will find some quite useful tools that may help...

So, can I accomplish steps 1 and 2 with a single Noteworthy "Instrument Change" command? That is, suppose I wanted to send 085 as the MSB and 000 and the LSB, is is just a matter of entering them in the appropriate fields and making sure that "Send Bank Select" is checked?

That is my understanding.  If you are using NWC 1.75b (I have the latest update - about 6 weeks ago), the controllers are labeled "0" and "32".  NWC2 labels them "MSB" and "LSB".

There has been some discussion that suggests that some keyboards may reverse the controller functions  I.E. controller 32 is behaving as MSB instead of LSB - I haven't experienced this myself and it may be a furphy

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Hi, all-

Rick G: "https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=7" appears to be non-existent. A far as I can tell there are only 5 replies, unless I'm suffering a senior moment.

Lawrie: I'm using NWC 2. I did find http://www.midiox.com/ on the web, and their software is obviously exactly what I need to monitor what's going on. Unfortunately, in order to allow NWC to continue to talk to the synth while the traffic is being monitored, a special driver has to be installed, and while it's almost certainly foolproof, I always like to think twice before taking that big a step.

Thanks to all for the assistance!

Peter

Reply #6
Hi Peter,
...a special driver has to be installed, ...I always like to think twice before taking that big a step.

Very wise!

However, if you're running WinXP you have a good tool at your disposal - its called [abbr=I use it a lot and surprisingly, its about the only M$ utility that hasn't let me down.  Kinda helps make up for the fragility of the registry.]"system restore"[/abbr].

Make a restore point, install midiyoke, test - if there's a problem go back to the restore point.

If it helps, I've installed midiyoke on 3 WinXP systems without any problems.

Lawrie

Reply #7
MIDI Yoke installed on my XP system without any difficulty (as far as I can tell!)

Using MIDI-OX, monitoring traffic between NWC and my synth, I discovered the following:

1. NWC sends volume and pan commands when it begins to play a piece (of course...)

2. The check boxes in the Instrument Change command work as follows:

(Send Patch, Send Bank Select):
(no, no) - no command sent
(checked, no) - Patch Change command sent
(no, checked) - no command sent
(checked, checked) - Bank Select, then Patch Change
commands sent

i.e. if you want to send a Bank Select, you also have to send a Patch Change. Perhaps a Bank Select by itself is meaningless, so NWC won't do it.

Other problems in getting my Roland JUNO-D to obey NWC were due to errors in the synth setup - there are quite a number of parameters which all have to be configured properly before the thing will listen to incoming commands. In any case, it's now under control.

Thanks again, Lawrie.

Reply #8
Hi Peter,
...it's now under control. good stuff!

HTH,
Lawrie