Skip to main content
Topic: Clefs (Read 6612 times) previous topic - next topic

Clefs

Out of curiousity, what instruments use the alto and tenor clefs? And how do you read them?

Re: Clefs

Reply #1
Andrew,

The viola uses the alto clef.

The tenor clef is found in cello, bassoon, and trombone music.

The centre of the clef is on a line, and that line is middle c.  Thus, the lines are where spaces would be on the other clefs, and the other way round. To give yourself some idea of what this does, put one of these clefs in a blank score, and put in a key signature.

Reply #2
Trombone is sometimes scored in alto clef.

I don't have a score handy but as I recall, Dvorak uses alto clef for trombone in his 6th symphony.  I think the trombone choir is scored 1st - alto clef, 2nd - tenor clef and 3rd bass clef.

Reply #3
Stephen,

Didn't know that.  Thanks.

Robin

Reply #4
In fact there are such things as alto trombones - hence the alto clef.  However, they are fairly rare beasts and more often than not the alto part gets played on a tenor instrument.  See here http://www.trombone-society.org.uk/ for an article by Ken Shifrin on the use of alto trombones in the orchestra.

Stephen

Reply #5
I have a trombonist friend who sometimes when he is writing his own arrangements, alternate between bass, tenor, alto and treble clef (in Bb) when appropriate. He does that mainly to practise all possible clefs, which is a bit risky if it is a new song with short of time before the performance. :)

Me as being a saxophonist, I'm happily content with knowing treble clef and stumble through bass clef in case of emergency.

Reply #6
I know exactly what you mean, Anders. I'm a saxophonist too.