Skip to main content
Topic: similar notes sound bad (Read 4133 times) previous topic - next topic

similar notes sound bad

I have a score for 2 trumpets.   Most of the time they are in harmony and not playing the same note and it sounds great, but when I have them in unison it sounds horrible. Does anyone have any clue what I'm doing wrong?   The key signature is the same, so that's not the problem.

Re: similar notes sound bad

Reply #1
As I understand it, it's more of a synth thing than you actually doing anything wrong...

You might try using a Multi Point Controller - Pitch Bend, absolute style, offset 0, detune the unison note on one staff, then restore stuff when the unison note is finished...

I did a quick and dirty test and found that I needed to shift the pitch by at least "384" units (I went up) before it was reasonable - I'd prefer a little further.  Note that 4096 units is a semitone OR 41 units roughly equals a 1 cent pitch change, so I changed the pitch by 9.4 cents, or about 1/11th of a semitone... YMMV

Edit: Umm, just how bad is it?  Is it simply a unison note that somehow sounds wrong, or is it a definite dischord?  If the latter, you may have a playback transposition on one staff that isn't obviously wrong until the unison shows up...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
A question, from almost total ignorance.  As I understand it, a synth can't start two notes at exactly the same time.  Could the delay between the start times cause some kind of wave interferance that would effect the tambre?

Reply #3
G'day Cyril,
from what I've read, that is exactly the problem, a phase shift phenomenon.  By shifting the frequency of one of the notes you prevent the phase shift from being constant.

This is, of course, only my understanding.  If anyone has a better idea then please pipe up...  ;)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
ah, yup.           it was the transposition thing.      thank you very much, that was really bothering me

Reply #5
Cyril,
Think of French stamps. Timbre-poste.
ah well... tambre and timbre sound almost the same. Now if these two instruments will follow suit ;-)
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #6
Thanks.  I have been accused of suffering from orthographobia.  I spelt it the way I heared it.

Reply #7
Ortographobia... I like that.
Rechtschreibungsangst - Peur d'ortographe.
You're not bad. I saw a document today, not even a long one, with at least 26 sins against the spelling laws.

Also, when point out something, I hope it serves a purpose. In music, you are likely to use "timbre" more often.
But I wouldn't mind if you called a descending sequence of notes "timber...!"

cheers,
Rob.

Reply #8
oy!