Skip to main content
Topic: Bar lines protrude when layering (Read 2192 times) previous topic - next topic

Bar lines protrude when layering

In 4 part SATB if the staves are all set to orchestral so as to get the barlines to join when the 4 are layered into two staves the the barlines protrude on either side.

One fix is to use the grand staff braces but this is peculiar and would cause offence to many picky choir members.

Re: Bar lines protrude when layering

Reply #1
I've tried to reproduce the problem, Kevin, without success.  With two treble clef staffs (staffs 1 and 2) and two bass clef staffs (3 and 4), all set to Orchestral and with the top treble and the top bass staffs layered with the next staff, I get two visible staffs, with bar lines connecting them.  I think that's what I want to see.

I don't see bar lines projecting above the top staff nor below the bottom staff.

If the bar lines connecting the two sets of staffs project into the space between the pairs, but don't connect up, then the problem may be that one of the staffs isn't orchestral and its upper and lower sizes need to be tweaked.  If on the other hand you don't want the layered 1 and 2 staffs to connect to the layered 3 and 4 staffs, just make them all standard.

If you needed to separate groups of parts as in a band score, i.e., 5 lines for reeds, 3 for trumpets, 3 for trombones, etc., just insert a new staff between each group.  Set it to 0 lines and standard style.