Skip to main content
Topic: Realistic playbacks (Read 2779 times) previous topic - next topic

Realistic playbacks

How can I play back music to sound like an E flat Tenor horn?

Re: Realistic playbacks

Reply #1
Other than hiring a musician...

When any software program plays computer-coded instructions, it calls on "virtual instruments" defined in software, or in the sound card firmware. The program itself can only change the sound if your have a choice of virtual instrument database available on your computer, either via software synth, or "sound fonts" that can be loaded and used by a synth or sound card. Not every sound card can load sound fonts - in particular, the cards that come with laptops almost never have this capability.

The topic has been discussed elsewhere in the forum, so you can use the search capability to look for topics such as "sound font," and that will lead you to related topics.

Be aware that some instruments do not sound very realistic when played via software, because natural human playing style includes many variations that are not emulated. This is particularly true of sax.

Reply #2
Maybe this is a question about transposition.
Transposition has been discussed often, so please check the FAQ and user tips. Good suggestions, anyone?

Reply #3
I have two problems here with trying to get the music through NWC to sound like my instrument.
1.It seems that a sound font is needed does that mean that all of the instruments in NWC that can be used in the staff are sound fonts? Eg Trumpet, drums entered as instruments on the staff are sound fonts. Is that it?
2. When I type in the music that I want to learn so NWC can play it back for me it sounds nowhere near the pitch. Can somebody direct me here.  Is it because I have to change my music key to match somehow.
The music that I have is written for E flat tenor horn.
Laurie

Reply #4
Hi Laurie C,
OK, 2 stages:

Stage 1:
When writing in treble clef your Tenor Horn sounds 9 semitones lower than concert pitch.

What this means to you as an NWC user is that when you write your music in NWC you need to modify the midi settings of the staff to transpose -9 semitones.  If you also have other instruments in the piece that are concert pitch instruments (E.G. a piano, strings etc.) then your key signature should have 3 more sharps than those instruments.

If you are transcribing music from the band you play in to practice with then the key signature(s) will already be correct.

Do this by right clicking the staff in question, select "Staff Properties", click the Midi tab, enter -9 into the Transposition field and click OK.  (do make sure that the Channel is _not_ 10 as this is normally the percussion channel)

Now when you write a "C" on the staff, NWC will tell the sound card to play an "Eb" below concert pitch "C".  This will match the pitch of your instrument when you play "C".

Stage 2:
You need to select a midi instrument that sounds like your Tenor Horn - good luck, I have _NEVER_ found a satisfactory brass font, but all is not lost.

As the General Midi instruments do not include a Tenor Horn the simplest thing to do is to select (within NWC) an instrument that sounds close.

Do this by right clicking the staff in question, select "Staff Properties", click the Instrument tab, scroll through the Patch Name list until you find the instrument you want, click it and then click OK.  (You can repeatedly press the first letter of the instrument and windows will locate successive entries that start with that letter - speeds things up a tad)

Depending on your sound card I would try Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba, French Horn, Brass Section, Synth Brass 1 and Synth Brass 2.

Somewhere in there you should find an approximation that won't make you want to chuck, I hope.

Lawrie