Skip to main content
Topic: Converting midis to wav files (Read 8052 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting midis to wav files

Anybody using midi to wav converters? I need some reccomendations for the best software
Thanks a lot

Re: Converting midis to wav files

Reply #1
I simply use the softs that came along with Windows. That's enough for my needs. Not enough though if you want to convert a serie of .mid, of course, but simply enough to make BIG .wav with (much) smaller .["mid"|"nwc"] :-)
The only parameter is to adjust the record volume, and the midi playback volume(s).

HTH, Mad

P.S. When I need to modify .wav, I generally use GoldWave. An "old" version (1995 I think) (much disk space saved).

Reply #2
Marsu's right, Kubilay. In my case I use CoolEdit, but you could just as easily use Windows' SoundOLE or WaveStudio (if you have a Creative Labs card). You simply turn off all sound inputs (for recording) except Midi. Start recording, start playing the midi, and wait 'til all is done.
NB: 16bit sound is twice as big as 8bit.
22kHz sample rate is twice as big as 11kHz
Stereo is twice as big as mono.
So good quality is 8 times as big as bad, but there are trade offs that you can make to save some space.

Andrew

Reply #3
For smaller size, independantly of your technical choices (mono/st., freq., ...) you can choose to compress your .WAV files. I think that CCITT µLaw is a good choice.
HTH.
. MAD

Reply #4
Here is the detailed version of my question. I wrote a song
with noteworthy 1.51a and import it to midi. It contains
only drum and bass. I used wingroove to convert this midi
to wav file and mixed it with a nother wave file with
cooledit96. I also used yamahaxg50 wavetable. Then the
toroubles appeared. Some of the notes were converted incorrectly.
Such as snare roll became something else. I guess that wingooove
won't make any problem if I use general midi drum format not
the yamaha but if you know any other good converter I will be pleased.
thanks a lot to you guys for your kind help.
Kubilay / TURKEY

Reply #5
I hear that WavMaker is a program that converts MIDI to Wav
It's $49 US. They have a demo version, but it doesn't provide all the files. You can convert the MIDI files they proivide, but not your own.

Reply #6
Hi! It's from japan.I visited the site of "WaveMaker",
but it seems to be closed.(I couldn't find it.)
Could you show me where I have to visit to get "WaveMaker"?

Reply #7
Sorry! I found it! I just made a mistake "WaveMaker" for
"WavMaker".Thanks everybody!

Reply #8
I have wavemaker and it doesn't help you at all unless you have a intrument hooked up into your computer.I'm thinking this though if you wanted to turn a midi file into a regular music file why would you need a converter if you have to use your keyboard anyway.

Reply #10
General info on this topic:

MIDI is a set of instructions that can be interpreted and played by (real or virtual) electronic instruments, in the same way that sheet music is a set of instructions that can be interpreted and played by musicians. A MIDI file is not a sound file, just as sheet music is not a recording.

It is not proper to speak of "converting" MIDI to WAV, just as we would not say that a real musician "converts" sheet music to sound. Rather, a MIDI file is "played," and the result can be "recorded" to an audio file format, such as WAV. Once recorded as an audio file, the format can be converted (such as to MP3 or WMA) with more or less compression or loss of quality.

When sheet music is played, the result depends on the musicians. When MIDI is played, the result depends upon the real or virtual instruments. "Instrument definitions" are stored in your computer's sound card or hard drive. One form of instrument definitions are "sound fonts." Some systems allow user-changeable sound fonts, others do not.

Some MIDI players use your system's instrument definitions, wherever they may be. The sound will be poor or excellent, depending upon the instrument definitions. At the low end, some systems (particularly ones not originally intended for multimedia) have a minimal set of synthetic-sounding instrument definitions, great for playing Pac-Man. At the top end, some systems can use hardware and/or software with extensive digitized samples of real instruments, with a variety of effects that can be applied.

Other MIDI players must use their own set of instrument definitions. This is likely to be middle-of-the-road synth.

It is possible to record MIDI to WAV in real-time by playing the MIDI in one application, and recording it in another. If you do it this way, be sure that your computer's sound mixer control is sending the audio output of the player to the audio input of the recorder. The built-in Windows recorder has a one-minute limit. There is a free "ALC recorder" that can be downloaded from some German web sites. It works as a substitute for the Windows recorder, without the one-minute limit.

You can, in principle, use an external audio cable to connect your sound card's output to the microphone input. I do not recommend this method unless you really know what you are doing, due to the possibility of damage if you screw up.

There are also a number of software programs that can play the MIDI and record it to WAV in real-time, as a single application. Programs of this type (often shareware) can be found by browsing download sites. Be sure to determine whether the program uses your computer's instrument definition database, or whether the program must use its own instrument definitions.

Some MIDI to WAV recording software will do it in virtual time. The advantage of virtual-time recording is that if your computer interrupts the process (as it often does, either for  memory management or other services), the play remains synchronized with the recording, and you (usually) won't hear clicks or missing sound in the recorded file.

Apple's QuickTime Player Pro ($30) will record MIDI to WAV in virtual time, using its own instrument definition database. The result is good quality synth. The same software will also convert to other audio formats. However, using the software is tricky, as Apple's help file is only on-line (must have Internet connection to read it) and the method is not obvious. But QuickTime Player Pro is not a complete audio studio; if you want to make extensive sound adjustments, look to other software.

Reply #12
Regarding the above user tip: Some users (that is, those of use without a full duplex sound card, which is probably most laptop users) can't do it that way. I tried. Also, Winamp 3 doesn't have that capability, and the Winamp2/3 plugin converter doesn't work with sound recording.

But it is still a good tip for many users.

Reply #13
Gostaria de receber dealhes sobre o programa "converter midis em mp3 ou wav"

Reply #14
I have a creative labs sound blaster sound card and have used creative playcenter to record midi to wav, Mp3 or wma. The first recording sounds like the midi file sound. If you record the new, lets say wav file with EAX audio effects (environments: concert hall). The final recording comes out sounding a lot better! This is the way I record midi files. All the software comes included with the sound card.

Reply #15
Using Winamp3 you have to use the Nullsoft Disk Writer plug-in in the Output-section of the Plug-ins. there you can determine an Output-directory where it is written. Try it - it was working best when I tried it ;-))

Reply #16
It would be nice if someone would just make a portable Midi player there seemes to be enough interest. I would be the first in line to buy one

Reply #17
If you have a mobile that uses polyphonic ringtones, you could use it as one! All the ringtones at least in the most recent Nokia phones are just plain MIDI's, and you can play them easily through Gallery.