Skip to main content
Topic: Irreversible merging (Read 4038 times) previous topic - next topic

Irreversible merging

After som lazy time with my composer I'm now back to God-speed, and I'm ready to throw out a few more wishes. Only last week I got the hang of layering staffs with the experimental feature, but still I experience that after exporting / importing as type 1 midi, the staffs are still separated. My humble wish #1: Could you incorporate a button/command that becomes active only on layered staffs, that will completely merge the staffs in question? I've made my own little argumentlist:
1: I want this feature for midi files that I publicate so that people who want to work on my files is encouraged to contact me first to get the original file.
2: MIDI-file size will be smaller (that's not much of a problem anyway!)
3: When PgUp-ing PgDwn-ing between staffs, I'm always sure which staff I'm on, without lifting my eyes ( too much, that is)
4: I can make one staff for all voices in a group (1. 2. and 3. trumpet i.e.)

Wish #2: It's about time that Noteworthy starts to reveal some of the new features we will see in the next patch / edition! When will we see OCR-importing for example? I've tried one quirky old score OCR-program some time ago, but I didn't like it at all.

Statement #1: Love you still! Keep up all the good work. In me you have one dedicated customer who will continue to buy (there was that ugly word again!) all your major releases. It's now about four years since I first laid hands on Noteworthy Composer (I don't remember which version was my first), and I haven't regretted one day that I registered it. Well spent money!

Re: Irreversible merging

Reply #1
You can merge any two staves (layered or not) by assigning them to the same channel and instrument patch, export as Type 0 midi, then re-import.

Note that this will lose any special formatting, dynamics, text, etc.

Re: Irreversible merging

Reply #2
OCR is a BIG subject. I once studied it, and even if music OCR is much easier than (even printed) text OCR, this is far out of NWC scope...
For music OCR, you may try :
* MidiScan: more expensive than NWC, bad GUI, not good recognition results. But may be satisfactory in many cases.
* Capella Scan: MUCH (!) more expensive than NWC, good GUI, great speed, and excellent recognition (97-99% in notes AND text). BUT you'll need another Capella product (cap_midi.exe) to export to midi format.
Other products are out, of course. But rare are cheap products, due to the enormous work it needs.

Any programmer free to achieve such development ? ;-)

HRU (happy reg'd user), MAD