Skip to main content
Topic: NWORN3 font technical error? (Read 3345 times) previous topic - next topic

NWORN3 font technical error?

Ertugral pointed out to me that the NWORN3 font, in User Tips, may have a problem in Acrobat Reader. I tried to open the font with my own font editor, and it refused. This means that there is a coding error in the font file.

Character maps are often capable of reading fonts that are technically incorrect. Thus, the fact that I can see the font symbols is not conclusive.

I did not find an E-mail address for the font creator, D.G. Catt. If (s)he reads this forum, please respond (to the forum).

I can only guess, but the most likely place to look for a problem is in the use of a cat symbol to fill in otherwise-unused code locations. That is fine, but each instance must have a separate name. The names could be the default names for those code positions, or a set of custom names, as long as they are all different. But including multiple cats in un-named, or identically named, code locations is sure to bring trouble.

Re: NWORN3 font technical error?

Reply #1
We have been trying to make a new NWORN, but without any success. None of our font programs can read the font. We might have to remove the font and associated samples from the site, at least for now, as the font definately causes major problems with Acrobat 5.

By the way, D.G. Catt has no Internet access, so we'll not get any near term reply from him. He does, however, read the offline forum from the NWC CD from his home in Wales.

Reply #2
The problem is not just Acrobat 5. I was fooling around with the font using other technologies. It seems to have something to do with whether or not the font is processed through a Postscript intermediary (I could be wrong). The "OS/2 character table" is missing (doesn't matter whether or not you use OS/2.) But i can't do anything about it.

Is there an earlier version of the font with mostly-the-same contnet? If so, maybe I can do something.

Reply #3
Something has been done. It is version 3.02

Reply #4
Robert has fixed the NWORN3.TTF font. It is a version 3.02 revision, which is now available from our site in the NWORN3 user tip. Thanks Robert.

Reply #5
Oh, no! Just yesterday, thinking that my NWORN3 user tip was old and obsolete, I removed it from the list of tips! So the link the the user tip won't work!

What it said was that the original NWORN3 font had a technical error that caused some systems to reject it, under certain circumstances. I found the error and corrected it. The Scriptorium has posted the new, corrected font for several months by now. Since the corrected version is a drop-in replacement for the older one, be sure to use the newer version.

There are a variety of amateur fonts, and perhaps some professional fonts, that can cause your system to have fits, particularly if an Adobe product is involved. The font contains something disallowed, or omits something required, yet the font works in any application that doesn't check the rules. But Adobe checks the rules.

In one case, a bad font caused Adobe Photoshop LE to bomb, even though the font was not used in the program! Perhaps Acrobat Reader is doing the same thing?

Suggestion: Remove unnecessary fonts, particularly amateur-designed symbolic fonts, from your system. See if that helps.