Skip to main content
Topic: Swing (Read 2036 times) previous topic - next topic

Swing

The new Forum format is great.  With the old format, in order to keep track of read messages I had to visit every single message so my browser would color the link visited.
With this format I can read a thread once and have it "visited", and every time there are new postings, it shows up as "new" again.  Excellent work.

Anyhow...

I saw the latest Tip, on how to make NWC play jazz, and tried it; it works marvelously!  I used the technique on a transcription of "Why Don't You Do Right" as recorded by Peggy Lee and reduced (by me) for piano and tenor sax.  I had made a copy with the triplets done by hand, but it looked ugly and hard to read.  Furthermore, I ran into something which can't be done in NWC:  a triplet within a triplet.  Take three eighth notes that constitute a triplet.  Now replace the first two eighth notes with a sub-triplet of three eighth notes.  Can't do it.  But with
the "Swing" technique, I can write it as a triplet of three sixteenth notes followed by an eighth note and it sounds correctly.

But I found that the technique using 160 and 160 as the alternating tempi sounded a bit mechanical, so I changed it to 120/90 (i.e. dotted eighth = 120 and dotted quarter = 90).  Gave it a much more natural swing sound.  It really cooks now.

(I'm trying to preview this message, but it's not working.
The preview screen appears for a split second and then disappears.  So I have no idea how this will look...)

- seb

Re: Swing

Reply #1
About swinging with NWC, I'm about to release my final solution, which will be much more flexible than the latest tip on this; it also uses tempo items, but will allow you more precision and flexibility in the swing feelings.
Just a matter of hours or days :)