Skip to main content
Topic: Symbols for fingering guitar scores (Read 3671 times) previous topic - next topic

Symbols for fingering guitar scores

Dear Friends
Can any one tell me where to find a specific font for guitar symbols, like numbers within a circle for strings, barré, arpeggio up or down, etc; to use in the score itself.
FretQuick could'nt help as it is a font for guitar tablature.
Searching the forum archives didn't gave me a conclusive answer...
Thanks in advance,
Any help very much appreciated,
Paulo

Re: Symbols for fingering guitar scores

Reply #1
I don't know exectly what symbols you need. But some months ago, when I was developing FretQwik, I browsed the Internet to see what find of (free) fonts on the subject were already available. All I found - and I'm not perfectly sure if they are really free - are the well known Frets A,B,C fonts. I don't think they do what you want, since they are simply pre-made dot grids.

I did come across a free tablature editor program. I believe it was listed in Software Music Machine. The program looked good, but not being a guitarist myself, I have no idea what it actually did!

Reply #2
Thank you, I already have Fret A,B, C, fonts.
What I need are those numbers 1-6  each of them within a little circle to place beside the musical notes in the score, indicating this way which string is to be stoped.

Regards

Paulo

Reply #3
Would you believe that I just got on my private hot line to Bill Gates? No? Well, here's the next best thing: Circled numerals already exist in the "Wingdings" font, which you probably already have installed in your computer.

Reply #4
Yes the font for symbols
Monotype sorts has the circled numbers.
I just couldn't find out which keys of the keyboard to type to insert them.

Paulo Galvao

Reply #5
Although it is possible to place those characters by typing character codes from the numeric keypad, the most effective way is to use the character map.

A character map came with your computer (look in the "accessories" menu). Set it for the font you need. Then, click the symbol you want. You may be able to magnify with right-click. When you click a symbol, it is copied to the clipboard. You can click several symbols. Then, you can paste the clipboard symbols into any other program, including the text editor of NWC.

But caution: You are not actually copying the symbols from the font you chose. You are copying their character codes. When you paste, the actual symbols will be in whatever font is specified in the receiving program.

In NWC, if you specify Monotype Sorts or Wingdings as a user font, you will not see symbols from those fonts in the text editor. Instead, you will see the characters that have the same codes, in a text font (Times?). But when you finish the text editor, the correct symbols will appear on the sheet music.

Reply #6
Thank you very much Robert.

I got to the "mao" through word ->Insert ->symbol.
I inserted them in a word doc,
Them I choose the same font on NWC user 1,
Finaly I copied the symbol from the word doc and pasted it to the text element assigned to user 1.

Great!!! Not dificult,

All the best

Paulo

Reply #7
FWIW: Instead of using Word, you'd better use the standard Charmap.exe program . It's "only" 1.5Mb in memory consumption (a quarter of mem used by MS Word), and allows you to create a complete "string" to copy/paste: it is what it's designed for.