Skip to main content
Topic: chinese character (Read 2407 times) previous topic - next topic

chinese character

hi,
I am using NWC to print Chinese songs. The program does support Chinese characters, it's great! However, some characters turns into ? (Question marks). When I check back the lyrics editor, I can see the correct character displayed in the text box. They just turn to ? in staff view. How come? Is there any way to solve the problem? Thanks.

Re: chinese character

Reply #1
NWC does not support unicode characters sets.

Re: chinese character

Reply #2
To clarify the above discussion:

Until recently, fonts have been on-byte coded. Every character or control is number from (decimal) 0 to 255.

You could, if you wish place a few Chinese characters in there. But not enough to do Chinese!

"International" one-byte fonts, which have become common, have more characters than can fit at one time into locations 0 through 255. The user can select a language subset, which shuffles the deck: some characters are moved out of 0-255, and others are moved in. But in the end, the number of characters is still limited (quite limited, since not every code can be used for a character).

"Unicode" fonts are becoming available. These fonts use TWO bytes to specify the code number, giving 64K possibilities. This is enough to make a useful Asian character set. In Western languages, it is more than enough to include every diacritical variation imaginable,

It would not be trivial for NWC, or even MS Word, to incorporate Unicode fonts. Indeed, they are only needed in some instances.

In a song, if the total number of Chinese characters needed is not too extensive, it would be possible for a user with a font editor to make a custom font with the needed characters.