Skip to main content
Topic: Lead Sheet (Read 4354 times) previous topic - next topic

Lead Sheet

Can anyone help me with the chord progression of a certain song. I have TRIED & TRIED myself and can't figure the progression. I have an MP3 file of the song. Can anyone tell me the chord progression by listening to the song. I will be ETERNALLY grateful for your help. Thanx

Re: Lead Sheet

Reply #1
If you give us the name of the song, someone might already know the progression. :)

Reply #2
Thanx Joe, but this song is prob. too obscure for ANYONE......'YOUR MISTER MISSES YOU' by MAZZ, a south of the border down mexico way Tex-Mex flavored popster.

Reply #3
I know that this sofeware isn't very good, but have you tryed a Wav to MIDI program.

Reply #4
Thank you FranMan......I have not even heard of a wav to midi file converter.....can you supply a URL or software program name that does this???

Reply #5
Oh nooooooooooo..... Not again!..... :(

Reply #6
Given the somewhat erratic nature of such programs (i.e. they don't work!), and the fact that they have been discussed to death on this forum, a possible alternative, assuming you are reasonably well-schooled in music (in other words, better than me!), is a program called Transcribe.
It's a shareware program, available from http://www.seventhstring.demon.co.uk
What this does is basically read in a WAV file and allow you to look at a frequency analysis of parts of the sound, showing you the notes that make up the sound. As I say, I can't make any claims for it, as my musical knowledge is fairly limited, and I've only played with it, but you might find it useful.

Reply #7
I would rather just have the notes all pushed together as a piano part than have a program that does nothing at all. BTW how big is transcribe expanded?

Reply #8
FranMan, The exe file is only 611K with just a handful of smaller files. You can use it for 30 days (no handicap) thence they want $30 big ones. I'll buy it for sure.

Reply #9
If find that very interesting. If transcribe can do that, then why can't there be a Wave to MIDI program based on this technology that just goes one step further: It also writes music for the notes heard. And Joe, I'm sorry I brought up wave to MIDI, but I couldn't help it!

Reply #10
THANK YOU ROBIN,

Yes, transcribe is EXACTLY what I have been searching for. You simply load a .wav OR .mp3 file...then select a portion of the file and the program will show you the most prominent frenquencies matched against a keyboard showing you the corresponding notes that are being played. I have only used this program for approx. 2 hours and was able to transcribe several measures.....melody notes AND chords.!!!
Program is very highly recommended......Thank you again Robin for leading me to it.

Reply #11
Mathematically analyzing a WAV file to find the various frequencies is a well-established technology. Although I haven't looked at the particular program mentioned, based on its description it seems likely to work well.

But instrument tonality and dynamics - as needed by MIDI - are not easily reconstructed from frequency components.

Reply #12
Although I don't need the "Transcribe" program, I took a look at it, and compared it to the scientific program that I would use if I ever had to do that. (The scientific program does not have a music-oriented interface.)

"Transcribe" looks pretty good for its intended purpose. I tried it on some files of piano music that I had. If your WAV or MP3 file -- or a section thereof -- consists of reasonably well-defined notes from a musical instrument, it can help you identify notes and chords. But the user must have some knowledge of musical tonality, in order to distinguish the fundamental note(s) from harmonics. The program does NOT "convert WAV to MIDI" nor does it claim to do so. If the music is polyphonic, non-operatic singing, percussion, or sound effects, then you are out of luck.