Skip to main content
Topic: Percussion volume (Read 3337 times) previous topic - next topic

Percussion volume

I've written a percussion piece with one staff containing a snare drum part using Midi channel 10. However, the volume control in the Midi tab of the staff properties window seems to have no effect, the volume being constant independent of the setting. The setting works for a piano piece and I don't understand the problem.

Re: Percussion volume

Reply #1
Two possibilities:

1 - Your sound card ignores volume changes on channel 10

2 - You have more than one staff using channel 10, and more than one of them assign volume

You can use Tools | Score Review to eliminate number 2 as a possibility.

Reply #2
I've found the staff properties affect every staff on the same channel, as does multi-point controllers. But the dynamic markings/variance affect only one staff.

I had a song with 2 drum tracks both ch 10 and had one decresc. And the other stayed at its intended volume. That was on a SB16, so no doubt any other card should support this.

hope this helps.
louie.

Reply #3
What you need to do is change the VELOCITY of the notes on the track.
Velocity is attached to the Note On message and is independent of channel.
Well almost - velocity, channel volume and channel expression work together to create the dynamic level of the sound from the each note.
Something like Veloc%xVol%xExpress% = dynamic level%.

So even if you set Velocity to maximum the dynamic level will not be at maximum if the volume and/or expression on the channel are not also at maximum.

Confused? - we all are!

I think NWC allows variation in Velocity as an option in dynamic variance. (perhaps Eric can explain this better).

Hope this helps.

Reply #4
Here's how I see it:

- VOLUME: similar to the volume control on a hi-fi. Alter the playback if changed while a note is held, thus allowing realistic crescendos & decrescendos for wind instruments, bowed strings,...

- EXPRESSION: "percentage" of the volume. If you set the volume to 64 and the expression to 127 (max. value), the notes will be played at 100% of the volume setting, i.e. 64. If the expression is 64, it will play at 50% of the volume, i.e. 32. If you set the volume in the staff properties and then only use expression MPCs in the piece, you'll have relative dynamics. I.e. you can change the volume of a staff and have the dynamics work accordingly. On held notes, it works like the volume.

- VELOCITY: represents how "hard" a note is played. In consequence, it doesn't alter the playback of a held note. Modern sound cards usually also change the tone of the instrument.

Volume and expression settings affect all the staves sharing the same MIDI channel. Velocity is a property of each note, so you can specify different values for two notes played at the same time on the same MIDI channel (in NWC, only if they're on different staves).

> I think NWC allows variation in Velocity as an option
> in dynamic variance.

It's allowed, but not as an option. The dynamic variation will "look" on both sides to see if there's a difference in velocity and/or in volume. So if your dynamics are velocity-only (i.e. you don't override the volume and you don't insert volume MPCs), it will vary in velocity.

I hope this doesn't confuse things more.

HTH,

Yves

Reply #5
Instead of numbering 0-100%, number 0-110% for louder volume. (according to Spinal Tap)

Reply #6
Actually midi does Spinal Tap one better by going up to 127. :)

Reply #7
Thanks to all those who replied so promptly & helpfully. It seems that several percussion staves all on channel 10 cannot have different volume levels. However, the dynamic markings affect only one staff & this seems to solve my problem

Gordon