Skip to main content
Topic: Transposition and enharmonics (Read 2635 times) previous topic - next topic

Transposition and enharmonics

Hi all!

I'm having trouble with transposition tools while working on MIDI files.

a) I open a MIDI file, and I first notice that, no matter what is its original key signature, it is always shown as a C-major key. Is that correct? With other notation applications I often get the correct key signature.

b) At this point all accidentals are obviously "odd".
Then, I apply "Force Accidentals", and change the Key Signature at the beginning of each staff.
After this, I apply the "Transpose Staff" with 0 semitones, always to each staff.
[I also tried to select the "Audit Accidentals" and use those options in all possible combinations]

c) However, the result is the same.
Enharmonic accidentals aren't always correctly placed.
Example:
- original score is B minor (# on F and C)
- after all those operations, I get every E# as a natural F.
Other example:
- original score is G minor (b on B and E)
- after Force Accidentals+Insert Key Signature+Transpose by 0 I get every F# as Gb

How can I better manage those enharmonic notes?

Thanks to everybody and greetings from Italy!

MS

Re: Transposition and enharmonics

Reply #1
(AFAK) I don't think there is a way to fix your problem with the enharmonics... I'm sure others can suggest workarounds or maybe there is a solution, but I always have trouble with the leading tone as well (F# instead of Gb in g minor)

-joe

Reply #2
Thanks Joe...I hope somebody can help me, at least I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.
Should I find any way to workaround the problem by myself, I'll post here the solution.

Ciao!

MS

Reply #3
...but please my friends help me if you can!

MS

Reply #4
We are discussing improvements to NWC's transposition capabilities on the NG. See the thread "Mary's Lamb and her Bear ..." We had a bit of topic drift! One strand of the thread has now been updated to "Improved transpositon (was Mary's Lamb ...etc)"

There are some suggestions there on how NWC could improve its transposition algorithm to get the spelling after transpoition nearly always right. If you think the ideas useful, please add your weight on the wish list.