Skip to main content
Topic: NoteWorthy Player 1.5 (Read 6056 times) previous topic - next topic

NoteWorthy Player 1.5

Great to get the version 1.5 compatible NoteWorthy Player.
This useful program doesn't get much of a mention in this forum so here is a wish that I am posting to the wish list.

It would be great if Noteworthy Player could accept a 'Play list' and automatically cycle through the list.

What's the view out there ?

Richard

Re: NoteWorthy Player 1.5

Reply #1
It is nice to have a player that can play my new files. Also one that deals with crescendos properly (been a long time... ;-)
I normally use NWC to play things on my machine, and suggest to users that they download Noteworthy Player if they don't have NWC.
It can be configured as a helper application in netscape, which is sort of neat. Be nice to have it as a plug in... then we could do karaoke web pages!!!

Playlist could be retrofitted from the commandline p'raps?
Otherwise it becomes a pain to handle.

Andrew

Reply #2
Unfortunately, the new Noteworthy Player does not make any sound for me on Windows NT. NWC works fine on NT, and so did the old player. The new player also works fine on the same machine under Win 95.

Is this a general problem, or is it just my system?

Reply #3
I reported this problem, and they acknowledge I am not the only one. Guess its a bug.

Reply #4
This is a bug. I have posted a fix for the Windows NT problem on our newsgroup. It will also appear on our web site in the next several days.

Reply #5
I picked up the fix. It works. Thank you.

Reply #6
I have just discovered what appears to be an undocumented 'funny' between NoteWorthy Composer and NoteWorthy Player.

If in the Composer, you define a group as Hidden in page setup, Noteworthy Player will totally ignore this UNLESS the group NAME is also called 'Hidden'

Also funnily enough, if the group name is Hidden BUT it is not defined as hidden in the page set up, the group is still invisible to NoteWorthy Player.

Summary -

If you want to stop noteworthy Player from displaying a group, just call it 'Hidden' - you don't need to worry about page set up.

Richard

Reply #7
The "Hidden" feature is covered in detail in the help for authors in the NoteWorthy Player package.

Reply #8
Sorry, I was looking for it in the Composer help file !!!!

Richard

Reply #9
Funny, I'm just looking for a way to play ONE song and don't
have the command line options. Someone wants to play a list
of them, and I think that's great, but could we just get one
song going first?

Reply #10
Just to update you on the very first item, I have just downloaded a shareware windows command line processor which has enabled me to get the same effect as if NWP had a play list.
The command line processor is available from www.simtel.net/simtel.net and the filename is wcl810.zip. The processor works in 16 and 32 bit modes.
What it enables you to do is to enter a list into a sort of batch file. If the list takes the form of ..

ew c:\path\nwplayer c:\path\music1.nwc /play /close
ew c:\path\nwplayer c:\path\music1.nwc /play /close
etc.

for however many nwc files you want to play. You therefore effectively have your play list.
The EW stands for ExecWait which instructs the processor to wait until the current command is finished before going onto the next command.

The “/play”and “/close” force NoteWorthy Player to automatically play and then close down when finished.
(In order for this to work, the autoplay setting within NoteWorthy Player should NOT be selected and there should be NO file association linking NWC files to NoteWorthy Player.
In all probability, the file association will be pointing to NoteWorthy Composer anyway).

I shall be testing this out further over the next few days before deciding if to purchase a license. Of course the better approach would be for NWP to have a play list (sorry snedegar!) but in the absence of this functionality .....

If anyone else has a go at this, let the forum know how you get on.

Richard

Reply #11
Have you tried using a DOS batch file? They're FREE!
In Win 95 (and most likely WinNT), you can execute Windows programs from DOS commands. However, I'm not sure if there is a way to wait for the program to finish (it does wait until the program has finished its initialisation before moving on).

A

Reply #12
You put your finger on it - it will not wait until the current music has finished and sets
up a new NWP process before the current one is finished.
The whole thing ends up in a shambels because the first NWP has grabbed the MIDI drivers etc.

This Windows Command line processor is the first one that I've come across where you can configure it to wait until the current batch line is finished before going onto the next.

Unless you know different !!!!

Reply #13
Are you running Windows 95? If so, this capability is available free. Using your example, just do the following:

start /wait c:\path\nwplayer c:\path\music1.nwc /play /close
start /wait c:\path\nwplayer c:\path\music2.nwc /play /close

While in a DOS session, you can help on the "Start" command by running "Start /?" on the command line.

Reply #14
Not using '95 so this is not available to me. But I'm sur many 95 users will be grateful for your tip.
Thanks

Richard