Skip to main content
Topic: Specifing midi sounds on a certain line.. (Read 2448 times) previous topic - next topic

Specifing midi sounds on a certain line..

can someone please tell me how to do this:
Put the low tom sound on the "F" line
Put the medium tom sound on the "A" line
and put the high tom sound on the "E" line
thanks

Re: Specifing midi sounds on a certain line..

Reply #1
I don't have NWC to hand to work out the details, but you can use the "transpose staff" option (with the MIDI on channel 10) to put the notes on any line of the staff. You may have to layer 2 or more staffs with different transpositions to achieve your requirement.

Reply #2
There is a wonderful program by Barry Graham called "Drumkit" on the Scriptorium. This lets you convert your drum sounds from the silly General Midi mapping (which you use for playback) into standard drum notation (which you use for visual printouts). You then hide the GM staff, and mute the standard notation staff... and you have the best of both worlds.

The remapping can be modified by changing an ini file.

The way it works is: you copy your GM drum track into a new file, and export it to midi called "drums.mid". Run Drumkit on it, it creates a new midi file which you then re-import into NWC, then copy the resulting staff into your original work.

The program will also go the other way, from standard drum notation to GM.

I use it whenever I publish a piece with drums, and want the score to be visually correct. Thanks Barry!

Reply #3
My pleasure Fred!
Drake Donahue's Visual Basic version is more flexible allowing you to save your midi>notation conversion map.
And you don't need Qbasic or a DOS prompt.
But the documentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Drake - if your still hanging around here - how about a written tutorial?