Skip to main content
Topic: Reinstalling Windows (Read 4036 times) previous topic - next topic

Reinstalling Windows

Due to Windows errors I plan to format my C: disk and reinstall Windows.
Noteworthy is on D: (my programs) and songs on E: (my data) and should be safe.
Does Noteworthy write something in base regitery ? In this case I am forced to reinstall it.
What does Noteworthy write on C: disk and where ? Is it sufficient to save these files and put them back on C: ?
x.ini file(s) ?
the shortcut y.lnk ?
My registered user information ?
any other file ?
Do you plan to issue shortly (15 days ?) a new version ? In this case I'll wait and install it after formating C: ...

Re: Reinstalling Windows

Reply #1
When you are done reinstalling Windows, you can either reinstall NWC (preferred option), or you will need to do the following two things, in order:

1 - Reinstall the Nwcv15.ttf font
2 - Open NWC, then re-register using File | Register

You will lose shortcuts and file associations unless you reinstall.

Reply #2
I would also back up anything on D and E that I couldn't live without. A C:format can be a deadly thing.

Reply #3
Obviously, our remarks were targetted only at recovery of NoteWorthy Composer, and not intended to minimize the overall concerns of formatting a hard disk. Many people are surprised to discover how much data is lost after a hard drive crash or reformat. Good backups are always essential if you want to avoid major data loss. However, many applications have a bad habit of also keeping a substantial store of information in the Windows registry. It is very difficult to recover this information, even with good file/folder habits and complete file backups.

Reply #4
A trick I've used successfully on a few occasions is to simply reinstall the same version of Windows over the existing copy. This generally will preserve registry settings, application associations and things like that while replacing any Windows dll's etc. that have gone missing, gotten corrupted, or whatever.

Of course, if your problems stem from defects in the registry itself, a reinstall won't make it any better. But it generally doesn't make things any worse, and it's a lot less trouble than if you start completely from scratch. (been there, done that too. On several occasions....)

Reply #5
Do not reformat your hard disk drive unless :
1 : you get by bad block or bad sector errors (or other hardware related errors)
2 : you exactly know what you are doing.
Disk drives are formatted by the manufacturer creating bad block tables and other hardware related info. Most hard disk drives are not capable of reconstructing such info and a reformat might cause you some problems for the remaining lifetime of your computer system.

Reply #6
I have never seen a hard disk that has been preformatted for a target OS. René seems to be referring to a low level format of your hard drive. This is often an option in disk tools that come with the drive, and in the computer bios. If you are tempted to do this kind of thing, you might be better off using a utility such as SpinRite ( http://grc.com )

Reply #7
My problem is that I have an IBM Aptiva. IBM gives an Windows licence but not the Windows CD! Just a "Recuperation and diagnostics CD" and says that it, in some cases (often I have been told), reformat the C: disk. It is supposed to reinstall a clean original image of all the programs preistalled...
I suffer probably of corrupted or mismatched dll(s) but I have gained nothing by reloading the one that crashes more often from the .CABS (compressed Windows OS files).

Reply #8
Those OEM Disks are very annoying. How old is the PC? If you've been adding and deleting programs for a year or 2, maybe it's time to clean house. Are the D & E Drives just partitions? If you start from scratch, you can change the partition size to suit your needs better. Also you will get rid of lots of junk that you probably forgot was there an won't miss. So make a Windows Startup disk. Copy you CD ROM device driver onto it. Backup all your critical files. Befriend a Geek with a Windows disk (you already have a license).Buy some of his/her favorite beverage. Both of you take a swig and go for it. It's a very cleansing experience.

Reply #9
Ok, Ok, its also very dangerous if you're not sure what you're doing, and your friend lies about how much they know. My wife almost killed me the last time I did it, but it is survivable.