Skip to main content
Topic: GM Drums (Read 3688 times) previous topic - next topic

GM Drums

How do I get GM Drum note map into Noteworthy so that I can access and use the individual drums sounds, i.e. congas, shakers etc? All the patch maps go up to 127 but not beyond. GM drum sounds start at 160. I have tried copying the ini files from another music program into Noteworthy but still can't access these sounds. I am a Latin player and NEED them! Anyone advise, Snedgear can you answer this!!!
Jane

Re: GM Drums

Reply #1
AREN'T THE CONGAS AND STUFF IN THE D TO G AREA ABOVE MIDDLE C? I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON YOUR SYNTH OR SOUND CARD. MY ROLAND HAS THEM IN THE AREA I SAID ABOVE. I WOULD LIKE THE DRUMS TO LOOK LIKE DRUM MARKS AND NOT NOTES TOO

Reply #2
This is hardware dependent, but the fundamentals apply to all devices. The general MIDI specification only allows for 128 (0-127) patches. Some keyboards and things will internally number their instrument sound banks. Do not confuse these numeric assignments with general MIDI patch numbers. If you have a drum kit numbered 160, you would have to select it in a different fashion via the MIDI standard. Some allow drum kit changes by selecting different patches on channel 10. Check your hardware's documentation for how to do it with your equipment.

Reply #3
Thanks for the quick replies, chaps. Unfortunately, SoundblasterLive doesn't provide any documentation. One has to rely on whether or not someone has answered questions in their forum. However, I will look for patches in channel 10. What I need to know is can Noteworthy software can support General Midi drums if I find a source to download?
Jane.

Reply #4
A great resource is the sample file "drumref.nwc" that comes with the product in the "samples" directory. It tells you which notes to use for which sound.

Reply #5
Well, the SBLive has a large amount of functionality. For starters, you should work with the default MIDI channel 10 drum sounds. The sample file drumref.nwc will introduce you to these sounds. Once you get used to working with these sounds, you can try branching out into all of the additional sounds you can get out of your card.

Reply #7
Thanks again for your replies chaps. I'm not concerned about drum notes on the staves as I am well trained in music and it doesn't bother me. I will try the file route to see what sounds there are. Despite this problem I have still managed to produce a stonking backing track!!
Jane

Reply #8
Whatever a stonking backing track is, I'd sure love to hear it !