Skip to main content
Topic: Fermata & Breath Mark in new toolbar (Read 2690 times) previous topic - next topic

Fermata & Breath Mark in new toolbar

I *love* this new toolbar! It's now so simple to insert all the dynamics.
The one question I have is that I can now click to insert the Fermata and Breath Mark, but I still have to Ctrl+E to assign a duration to them.
Am I missing something? These icons seem to be worthless if I still have to perform another task to make them operatable. What am I missing?
Thanks all,
Gordon

Re: Fermata & Breath Mark in new toolbar

Reply #1
I suppose it depends on whether you use these to actually assign durations, or whether you use them strictly as performance instructions (as do I). Reason being that the assigned delay durations don't export to midi, as the midi protocol doesn't have a "pause for n ticks" instruction; you have to assign tempo changes anyway to make the effect exportable to midi anyway.

Reply #2
Well, the quick insert tools are meant to add symbols quickly to your score via point and click. Custom settings for delay in the fermata/breath, or override settings in the dynamics, are better left to manual editing through the properties interface. We do not want to slow down or otherwise complicate the quick insert method.

Reply #3
Thanks Fred and NoteWorthy:

This makes perfect sense. Your reasons, Fred, never occurred to me because my music is only created to be played on the computer; it is never printed for a performance. This would make all the difference!

Thanks again,
Gordon