Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI notes and acoustic notes (Read 4226 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI notes and acoustic notes

I have recently become aware that the MID note system is far from the acoustic note system, i.e. on the full piano fretboard the lowest note is not the lowest note MIDI can produce &c. On the page I read that, it also said that the note numbering that was given from program to program in relation to rela notes differed, resulting to G1 being G-2 in some MIDI's &c.

Has anyone got a comprehensive list of the MIDI notes in relation to acoustic ones for NWC (staff positions included)?

Additionally for the guitar specifically, are the piano middle C, which ???? on MIDI starting with 1 and ????? on NWC (staff position for the G key please)?

Thanx for the help,

S

PS: I am asking because I come across piano patches that the same note on the fretboard produces sounds differening by an octave in different patches.

Re: MIDI notes and acoustic notes

Reply #1
Midi has 128 notes 0 - 127 this is more than the standard 88 note keyboard so the range extends beyond the normal piano.
For this reason many midi manufacturers ignore the lower end and start the Cn number system an octave (sometimes 2) above the base midi note so it more or less aligns with the keyboard.
NWC documentation does not do this but uses the full midi range from C0 to G10 (0 to 127) and adopts Middle C as C5.
The note above is C#5 and the note below B4.

This places C3 two lines below the Bass staff.
C4 in the 2nd space from the bottom in Bass staff.
C5 as described.
C6 in the 3rd space from the bottom in Treble staff.
C7 two lines above Treble staff.

Many sequencers refer to Middle C as C4 and some as C3.

The guitar is a non-transposing instrument but like the double bass sounds an octave lower than the written note for the instrument. (On the other hand a piccolo sounds an octave higher than it's written note even though it is technically a non-transposing instrument).
A guitar playing written C5 (line below Treble Clef on the guitar part) sounds as C4 at concert pitch.
The low E string on the guitar (written 4 spaces below the Treble staff) sounds as E3 - one line below Bass staff.

Hope this helps!

Reply #2
>>The guitar is a non-transposing instrument . . .

Not if you adopt the standard definition of "transposing". I've seen plenty of references to guitars, piccolos and double basses as transposing instruments. Their parts are easy to read compared to other transposing instruments because they're in the same key as the nontransposing instruments. But they're not notated *at* their actual pitch, but an octave higher or lower - which makes them transposing instruments.

The definition of "transposing instruments" in the New Grove begins: "Instruments for which the music is not notated at the actual pitch of the sound, but is transposed upwards or downwards by some specific musical interval. Transposition is traditionally reckoned relative to the pitch C; an instrument 'in C' is non-transposing (or transposing by an exact number of octaves), and an instrument, for example, 'in F' sounds F when C is notated." The parenthetical case covers guitars et al.

Reply #3
Why should I argue!
Guitar is a transposing instrument Sterghios.
I'm so sorry for the misinformation - but I guess that was not the core of your question.

Reply #4
So sorry. Next time I'll try to correct misinformation only if it's directly relevant to the specific question at issue.

Reply #5
Thanks guys - both.

I believe that the forum's goal is really the discussion of ideas and knowledge so Grant, don't think that your input is not welcome. The more we know and learn the better. And it also corrects us from making mistakes. Indeed, I personally prefer seeing a discusiion under a topic diverting a bit, as in that way information related (not necessarily closely) to the topic is also presented and discussed.

Thanks for the help. Maybe this thread, a bit corrected should be added into the Help file or User's tips pages for future reference. What do you think Support?