Skip to main content
Topic: Help needed with repeats (Read 3292 times) previous topic - next topic

Help needed with repeats

Being rather out of practice, I've ground to a halt with a tricky repeat sequence. 'Twould be easy if Da Capo didn't stop earlier special endings from repeating. The piece is divided into 6 sections - call them A, B, C, D, E and F. They need to play in the following sequence:

A B C B D E A B C B D F

Any ideas pleeease!

Peter

Re: Help needed with repeats

Reply #1
The easiest way I see, would be to copy and paste section B (if you don't mind it being in the score twice) and insert it between C and D. Then all you would have to do is make section E the 1st special ending (followed by a Master Repeat Close), and section F the 2nd special ending.

KenJ

Reply #2
Thanks, Ken. I've already considered that workaround - OK for playback, but since the repeated section B is quite long, not so convenient for printout of 30 or so copies for the choir involved. Anybody else out there??

Peter.

Reply #3
If you just need a score to sing from, rather than to play back, how about using a DC al Coda with added text saying "play all repeats on DC".

It would look like this (if you follow my attempt at graphical illustration - @ = coda sign):

| |1 |2 |@ |DC al Coda (play all repeats on DC)
A |:B | C:|D |E ||

Coda
|F||

Ken's solution can go in the hidden staves.

Or another (non-playback) idea, using V1.70's facility to specify where staff breaks occur:

Verse 1 A [staff break]
Verse 2 C [staff break]
Verse 3 DE [staff break]
Verse 4 A [staff break]
Verse 5 C [staff break]
Verse 6 DF [staff break]
Chorus B

HTH
Stephen

Reply #4
I just looked at that reply as it appears in the forum. So much for fixed width fonts! The spaces got stripped out. Here is another (less elegant but hopefully better reproduced)attempt at my first offering:

[A] Master repeat Open 1st ending [C] master repeat close, 2nd ending [D] coda sign [E] DC al Coda "play all repeats on DC" Coda [F]

Stephen

Reply #5
Thanks, Stephen, it looks as though I'm going to have to 'fudge' this one, and use two copies of the piece, one for printing and one for playback. It's just as well that the human brain is capable of continuous reprogramming!! Peter.

Reply #6
Could you do something with hidden local repeats?