Skip to main content
Topic: Record does not work for me! (Read 4577 times) previous topic - next topic

Record does not work for me!

Hello,

I have a GeneralMusic Keyboard, WS-2, and a SoundBlaster Compatible Audio card, NTWC 1.55b, and a midi cable. I have connected the midi cable correctly - 'out' into 'in' - after some desperate attempts.

Now I have managed to make my 'old' Gem WS-2 play midi files transmitted from the PC. The problem is that I can't record anything from the keyboard to the score. When I hit play, the keyboard play the already-existing staffs, but doesn't add the new one I'm playing. Also, when I try to record a staff in a new file, choosing 'file', 'song templates', 'piano', 'rock', and also after having inputted some whole rests in the blank score, ... nothing can be recorded.

These are all the options available in the whole configuration. Hope that anyone can help me, I'm getting mad about that! :) Sorry for bad english.
Giulio

**** Control Panel - MIDI ****

MIDI Output - Single Instrument :

- Roland MPU-401
- Ges WS-2 (I added it with 'add new instrument')
- Microsoft GS Wave Synth
- Yamaha OPL2/OPL3 Synth

**** NTWC Options ****

'MIDI' Folder :

Available Play Devices :
- MIDI Mapper
- Roland MPU-401
- Microsoft GS Wave Synth
- Yamaha OPL2/OPL3 Synth

Devices Used to Play Back :
(when I select Roland MPU-401 the keyboard plays the file)
(when I select Microsoft GS Wave Synth the PC plays the file)
(when I select both, both keyboard and PC play the midi file, toghether, there is also a small delay from the keyboard, I was wondering how to eliminate it)

Play Options :
- from current measure
- always

'Record' Folder :

Input Device : Roland MPU-401 (only device available)
Echo MIDI input : yes
Echo Input to Play Device : Roland MPU-401
Echo to MIDI Channel : use original channel
Import Options : Record Group (or New Window - both tried, nothing happens)

Also, when I try to record, 'MIDI Input Active' button is selected.

When I try to record I hit 'record' (obviously:)

**** WS-2 Settings **** (argh!)

The WS-2 has a 'MIDI' button that leads to a 7-pages menu.

1° page) channel selection : I have the midi channel match the same channel in the staff
2° page) common midi channel : off
effect1 channel : 15
effect2 channel : 14
sequencer midi channel : off
copy all global : off
3° page) input filter note : off (if I turn it on 'on' the keyboard stops playing th midi file)
input filter prog. : off
input filter contr. : off
input filter damper : off
4° page) out filter note : off (also tried 'on'. I guess that this page is the one that enables midi output in my WS-2)
out filter prog. : off
out filter contr. : off
out filter damper : off
ext / int clock : int
5° page) section local off
1:on 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on (WS-2 can let 5 instruments play together - if I set these ones on 'off' I can't hear any sound coming from the keyboard's speakers)

Important : the keyboard has an internal synthetizer. What I can't do is to record, and I also can't use the keyboard as a simple MIDI instrument - can't have the PC playing what I input from the keyboard.

I'm getting mad trying to understand if a possible problem can be in the soundcard, or into the keyboard (I also have thought of a serious hardware problem!)

Hope that someone experienced can help me. Sorry again for confused english. Giulio