Skip to main content
Topic: Converting keyboard files to midi (Read 2792 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting keyboard files to midi

My wife has a keyboard which creates files with a suffix of .sgn which she would like to import into Noteworthy without
connecting the keyboard to the pc. She can play files created in Noteworthy on the keyboard, but cannot get the files to go from the keyboard to Noteworthy. Someone had mentioned to her about changing a windows file (win.ini?), but as she is not technical she cannot remember exactly what they said. Does anyone have any ideas. Many thanks. Tom

Re: Converting keyboard files to midi

Reply #1
Right click a *.sgn file and rename it *.mid, double left click it and see if it plays on your media player. Some companies make standard formats look proprietary by assigning an extension only their stuff wii read. If it does, import it and have fun in NWC.
After that fails, check the manual for the keyboard it may well have a .mid output option.
After that fails, check the company by net, phone, letter for converter software.
After that fails, net search for a user group and or user web pages.

Reply #2
If you can look at the binary contents of the file, you should see a "MThd" label at the top of the file IF the file is in standard MIDI format. Otherwise, as suggested, you should look for a converter program to convert the file to MIDI format.

Reply #3
Thank you all for your very helpful response.
I will do what I can with the info.
Thanks Alton!