Skip to main content
Topic: Notes sound as though accented - cure?? (Read 2452 times) previous topic - next topic

Notes sound as though accented - cure??

When I enter notes into NWC from my computer keyboard, the resulting MIDI file sounds as though each note has a heavy accent. Piano scores sound as if the notes were pounded out by a hack pianist; every trumpet note is attacked sharply etc. Many MIDI files imported from the internet have the same problem.

I try to soften the sound by slurs, inserting "Legato" on every staff and putting "Tenuto" marks on every note. These help some, but it's still not the smooth effect I'm looking for. I play the resulting MIDI files on a Roland XP-80, and the accents are still there, so it's not just my computer's sound system.

I have a very old SB16 sound card in my computer. Could this be the problem? Will a Sound Blaster "Live" card improve things, or is there another card that works better?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Notes sound as though accented - cure??

Reply #1
Try decreasing the MIDI Velocity settings for your imported work. This is done via the Dynamics item.

Reply #2
Thanks for the prompt reply. Reducing the staff Velocity setting seems to serve only to reduce volume. The accents are still there, just softer. I'll experiment some more, but if anyone has any other ideas, they will be appreciated.

Reply #3
Your biggest problem is that SB16 OPL-3 FM synth. Everything sounds like a cheap electric piano... you'll experience a world of difference with a decent wave-table card.