Skip to main content
Topic: Slur (and tie) location (Read 2971 times) previous topic - next topic

Slur (and tie) location

A new tip describes how to ensure that a slur is positioned above (or below) notes in cases when the default is to do the opposite. This is fine for just editing but I need to print also and a print preview seems to reset the slur location. The main reason I want this is to be able to get the slur and tie markings out of the way when using the staff layering feature (above the notes for the upper staff and below for the lower would be ideal). Any thoughts?

Re: Slur (and tie) location

Reply #1
What's more, simply playing the file resets it also. If you print right away after making the change, it seems to work.

Reply #2
Anyway, it doesn't seem stable enough for me to use it. And I often "misplace" the stem of 3rd line notes (especially on alto parts) ofr slurs purpose (to make them higher). So I can't use this tip (http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/usertip7.htm#slur ), which performs an audit note stems.

Reply #3
I'll try printing it immediately after fixing the stems (Thanks to Fred for https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=1016.msg5020#msg5020)but I would like to be able to control the location. Unless my submission went wrong I have added to the wish list (user control over the location of slur and tie lines relative to the notes tied and slurred). If this is easy to do and popular perhaps we will see it in a future release.

Reply #4
What we need is a way to select and edit ties and slurs to set their direction. This capability would complete (I think) the features needed to make staff layering work (like horizontal adjusting the position of notes, which we just got).

While we are at it, if we can edit a slur, how about an option to vertically adjust the start and end points? This would give us the capability of tilting slurs, which can make the score look a little nicer.

Hairpin Crescendos would give me 80% of what I need, this another 10%.