Skip to main content
Topic: Copying preview to clipboard (Read 7358 times) previous topic - next topic

Copying preview to clipboard

I have a piece with measure numbers.

If I go to Page Setup,
click Preview,
click Copy, (to clipboard as .WMF)
and paste in Publisher or Word,
half of the bar numbers get cut off.

This is because the bar number is
placed across the
MIDDLE of a bar line,
so only half of the bar number
is displayed when I paste the
page into another application.

What is a solution?

I can't print some of my work
until I can print with complete
bar numbers.

If I have missed something please
awaken me to it...

Re: Copying preview to clipboard

Reply #1
Just a guess, but have you tried increasing your left margin width?

Reply #2
Yes. problem still there

Reply #3
I was tearing my hair out when this thread came up. How do I take a WMF file and put it into Word. I've tried various imaging programs but they don't work.

Is it better to import in WMF format, i.e. can you do more inside the host file, than in BMP format.

Thanks for any help
Peter

Reply #4
As Blair has just suggested, i'd have talk about margins. But as you say it did'nt solve, I found a turnaround that may be acceptable (it was for the score I have).
Simply configure your page setup ("Options" tab) to display staff label on "all systems".
This is acceptable if:
1. all staff names are short enough. In my case, they are S., A., T., B., but for intruments, normalized abbreviations exist (don't ask me, i dunno in English)
2. all staves have different names (demanded by WNC).
3. you are okay to have it on each page. But you can supress them into your final editor.

Hope this helps!
Marsu

Reply #5
To June: I forgot to mention where you can find the file I tested. It's the one referenced in http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/
To Peter: yes it is better in WMF than BMP format.
Note that you need much memory to edit them in Word.
And that PaintShopPro (I got 3.12 version) works perfectly with .WMF files. I used it for all the chorals of St John's Passion of JSBAch to display in slides on a 10 meter screen. I used Copy to Clipboard in NWC, and decided of the final size in PSP (I use Ctrl-V to paste in a new picture).

hope this helps

Reply #6
Got it.

Isn't the Internet wonderful!

Many thanks
peter

Reply #7
It's okay Marsu, I don't want to tell the musician what instrument they are supposed to be playing every time they get to a new line. I'll have to do my cut, copy and pasting with the sticky tape and paper method. :(

(I'm mainly printing individual parts)

Thanks anyways.

June

Reply #8
With great confidence, having always had 100% success with it, I tried my favourite - Page Plus. BUT same problem as June. This has to be classed as a bug. Sorry, but over to you, Eric.

Peter.

Reply #9
Hey'all, When that gets fixed up could yous add the "bars silent" feature too? Like as an option in de page setup when single instrument tracks are printed.

Coolness,
Steve.

Reply #10
June - Am I missing something here.

Why do you need to paste into Word to print out individual parts?
You can do that from NWC using Page Setup to display one part at a time.

I can only say that the fault must be with Word - the metafile contents are complete within the file.

If you need to import into a document to add graphics or whatever - try Coreldraw or import into Microsoft Publish and use the Crop function to 'uncrop' - that is make the space around the image larger.

Unfortunately the little diamonds on Space-Not-Preserved -Text appear when you copy to file or clipboard.

Despite Marsu's suggestion beware of using Paint Shop Pro with metafiles - it can only handle them as a bitmap image.
The ability to rescale without distortion - the main advantage of the metafile is lost.
Coreldraw is much better - it retains the metafile format but is a lot slower and less user friendly.

Reply #11
I forgot.
Copying the page as a File (Placeable Metafile) is a better solution because you should then be able to Insert the file into Word.

Reply #12
*** Why do you need to paste into Word to print out individual parts? You can do that from NWC using Page Setup to display one part at a time.

Every single band/orchestra on the face of the planet needs individual parts to play. Well I need it for adding unique copyrights/titles/notes and other info/notation.

*** I can only say that the fault must be with Word - the metafile contents are complete within the file.

So? The bar numbers have been cropped in half.

*** If you need to import into a document to add graphics or whatever - try Coreldraw or import into Microsoft Publish and use the Crop function to 'uncrop' - that is make the space around the image larger.

Why shouldn't it work first time?

*** Unfortunately the little diamonds on Space-Not-Preserved -Text appear when you copy to file or clipboard.

*** Despite Marsu's suggestion beware of using Paint Shop Pro with metafiles - it can only handle them as a bitmap image. The ability to rescale without distortion - the main advantage of the metafile is lost. Coreldraw is much better - it retains the metafile format but is a lot slower and less user friendly.

Cool.