Skip to main content
Topic: exporting MIDI files (Read 3736 times) previous topic - next topic

exporting MIDI files

Entering a melody into NWC is quite easy, as you know, and exporting it as a MIDI file couldn't be easier.
However, when I import that file into another program that handles MIDI files, I'm in for a shock. The melody would sound the same if played, but there have been some changes made.
For example, a quarter note has been turned into a dotted eighth with a 16th rest. A half note is now a dotted quarter with an eighth rest following it. This is not what I put in (note by note, not playing it in) and it's not what shows up in the .nwc files.

I am currently evaluating Noteworthy, and at this point, am not inclined to purchase it.

Re: exporting MIDI files

Reply #1
The way other programs notate a MIDI performance is beyond the control of NWC. However, that said, if a program does not do a good job of minimizing rests, you might be able to help the situation. Try by changing to a legato style in NWC, thus minimizing the amount of time between notes that are played in a staff.

Reply #2
What you are seeing is Noteworthy "playing" the note as a non-legato note. If you want full length notes, use either the legato performance marking, or use the ";" key to place a phrase mark over selected notes.
Roughly (and I think I evaluated this more accuately months ago, but my memory ain't what it used to be)
Legato will hold down the note for 100%
Unmarked = 75%
Staccato = 50%
There should be a staccatissimo at 25% but there isn't
Tenuto = 100% as well, I think.

Looking at what you've said above, I think the only problem was your (perhaps reasonable) expectation that unmarked notes would be played legato.

Andrew

Reply #3
Perhaps you're right. I rather expected the notes to come out as I put them in! I put in a quarter note, wanted a quarter note. Unreasonable?

BTW, this happened with at least two other programs, not just one.

Reply #4
Welcome to the world of midi sequencing. Wait till you see what sequencers (any of them) do to real-time performances...

Reply #5
After that admittedly flippant little remark, I felt compelled to write something that might actually be useful in your situation.

All sequencers I'm familiar with allow you to set the note and rest resolution either before/during midi import (as NoteWorthy Composer), or subsequently. Careful choice of these parameters on a track-by-track basis can help immensely.

There are also often functions called "quantize" and "snap". Quantize lets you "smooth out" irregularities (as when playing in a piece in real time), and Snap causes the note-on time to "snap" to the nearest 1/4, 1/8, etc.

There is even a sequencer (Performer, only available for Mac the last I heard) that lets you quantize the notes as they appear on the score, without changing the quantization of the way the notes are sounded (allowing for a "human" quality while still giving readable score and/or piano roll views).

The solution I've personally arrived at is to have several programs, each of which has its own strengths and limitations, and is used as appropriate. It may very well be that somewhere, sometime there might be a single program that does it all, but I shudder to contemplate the complexity of such an animal. Even [one of the most popular programs] is too involved for my liking, I prefer to use [another fairly popular program] for sequencing, and NWC for scoring and quick demos.

Reply #6
As a performer first, midi composer second, the actual performance of an un-ornamented note is played back correct in NWC. If any note doesn't have an ornament over it, it should be slightly detached from the first when played. The problem you are experiencing however are not the problem of Noteworthy, but more the program you are importing the midi file into. If you export a group of quarter notes from NWC, even NWC itself will not import the notes as they were exported. Very much a question of compromise between the midi playback and the visual accuracy of imported files.
Adam

Reply #7
Ellen,
for simplicity sake use "Legato" style (menu Insert/Performance style : expression Legato (uncheck preserve space)).
I use it for EACH and EVERY piece of music, on each staff.
You can notice the difference by applying it on an existing score and play it afterwards --listen carefully for the quarter, halves,.. and you'll notice they are off earlier than written without that perf. style.
Or try Export+Import with NWC (both directions), it's obvious.

If only this could be hidden at printing time... Pleeeaaase, Eric ! :-)

P.S. Currently, only staccato and legato styles have a sound effect. Others are for the reader only --yet

Hope this helps

Dominique