Skip to main content
Topic: Highlighted notes during playback (Read 6366 times) previous topic - next topic

Highlighted notes during playback

I've used NoteWorthy for Windows '95 and '98. I recently got a 400mHz Pentium II (etc.) for Windows '98. The computer includes the Yamaha Soft Synthesizer S-YZXG50 MIDI system, which is much better than general MIDI. The problem is that the notes that get highlighted to indicate the current position in the song are highlighted a little bit faster than the song is going. I think it has something to do with a faster computer and a slower MIDI system but I'm not sure. If anyone has had a similar problem and fixed it, I would be grateful to hear from you. Thank you.

Re: Highlighted notes during playback

Reply #1
NoteWorthy Composer and Player highlight the notes when the "note on" event is first sent to the MIDI driver. Most synthesizers end up playing the notes in near real-time. This is important, for example, when playing a piano keyboard that is triggering the synthesizer sounds. It would be very hard to perform a piece on a keyboard where the sound is not produced until a half second after the key is pressed.

Unfortunately, many of the new breed of software synthesizers do not seem to behave in this traditional fashion. They introduce a delay between receiving a "note on" event and actually playing the note. This means the following:

1 - Your play back highlights in NWC and NWP will not synchronize with the sound

2 - You will not be able to play your soft synth concurrently with other MIDI devices (since they will be playing the same thing, but at different times)

3 - You will not be able to play through the soft synth using an external MIDI keyboard (this is normally done using the MIDI echo feature in NWC) without getting very confused

There is no way to work around this in NWC.

Reply #3
> It would be very hard to perform a piece on a keyboard
> where the sound is not produced until a half second after
> the key is pressed.

"Tracker" organs behave exactly like this. I can't imagine
how, but there are plenty of people who have learnt to
deal with the delay.

Reply #4
This is not exacly on the subject, but I'd like the playback to jump to the next horizontal page a bar or so before the highlight reaches the end of the screen. Ideally, the screen should scroll smoothly, so that the highlighted bar is always in the middle, but I accept that this is probably asking too much.

Regards

Reply #5
Christopher, I support your request, and added it to the
wish list. Did you too ?