Skip to main content
Topic: Nylon string guitar sounds like an organ. (Read 5322 times) previous topic - next topic

Nylon string guitar sounds like an organ.

Does anyone have a clue on how to get the nylon string
guitar to sound more like a guitar, than an organ when
a score is played back?

Re: Nylon string guitar sounds like an organ.

Reply #1
Without further information I can only suggest the following:

Are you using the correct instrument patch? The guitar sounds are patches 25-32 (nylon string is 25), whereas the organs are 17-24.

Some synths start the patch numbering at 0, others at 1. This might be your problem, since 24 is Tango Accordian (a sort of organ sound).

If no luck, try explicitly specifying a bank - i.e. bank 0. Your synth might be off in some other patch bank.

Good luck.

Reply #2
Also, some synths (FM onces particularly) sounds REALLY BAD!

A

Reply #3
You bet! You should hear the bass guitar on my ESS1880 fm synth. Sounds like a sick clavinova! Software synths can do a world of wonder to an FM soundcard.
Adam

Reply #4
My apologies for the lack of information. I have a Creative
Labs AWE64 sound card. I am using the correct instrument
patch (025) for nylon stringed guitar. However, I will try
your advise to explicitly specify a bank.

Thanks,
JC

Reply #5
Two tracks to follow here:
1) How much memory is on yur sound card, and what soundfont bank are you using for general midi? I have a 4M AWE64 and nylong string guitars sound very nice on mine.

2) Are you sure that in this particular file that you haven't got the guitar sharing a channel with an organ? I just did that the other day (timpani and french horns, actually).

A

Reply #7
I don't even bother with the synth on my AWE 64. I always use the MIDI out driver and play back through my Korg X3, which sounds so much better. Not perfect, but at least I can tell the difference between, say, my brass and woodwind parts.

Even though I use NWC just for notating because I have a dedicated sequencer, it still helps to have some reasonable sounds for quick proofreading (proofhearing?).