Skip to main content
Topic: Pause for a rest (Read 2506 times) previous topic - next topic

Pause for a rest

When I insert a whole note rest (Semibreve) to indicate a whole bar's silence then everything works fine, independently of the time signature - which is as it should be - nicely centered in the bar.

Then when I put a pause mark (or fermata) on it, something goes wrong, and the fermata appears at the start of the bar instead of over the rest.

This doesn't happen in say 2/4 time with a minim rest, so I suspect a bug, but am I missing something?

Re: Pause for a rest

Reply #1
Tried with a 5/4 (2/4 and 3/4 too) measure as well, and it seems that the fermata signs is placed just after the item before (in my case the time sig). I tried with 1 and 2 staves (the 2nd having only quarter rests). Seems to be a bug. Either w/ or w/o "Preserve width" checked. This appears only with a whole note rest.
Btw, how is it you need such a thing? because of a repeat I guess?

Re: Pause for a rest

Reply #2
In this instance it was to warn the pianist that the chorus parts had a pause during an unaccopanied bit of the piece.

In another case, in orchestral parts, you should always mark pauses and tempo changes even though the instruments are tacit at that stage, on the off chance that they could be following the conductor and actually counting bars!