Skip to main content
Topic: page layout, clef changes, chords (Read 3943 times) previous topic - next topic

page layout, clef changes, chords

A couple of beginner questions. The program is great and easy to use. BUT…

Is there any way to control how many bars are printed per system or to break the lines where you want them to break, other than lowering or raising the font size?

A strong factor in the page layout seems to occur when changing clef signs. There is a lot of wasted space on either side of the changed clef. Any way to scrunch that?

I sometimes need to notate a chord in which an inner voice moves and is a different value. I can't do that. I've tried to make sure the stems are different for the moving note, but it doesn't work. The only thing that appears to work is if the moving note is on the top or the bottom of the chord. Correct? Or is there a workaround?

Thanks.

Re: page layout, clef changes, chords

Reply #1
Carolyn,
For answers to your 2 questions, you can refer to the https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=565 : there are answers related to chords as well as spacing (find some of the hints in http://www.mygale.org/05/madmarsu/doeba.zip))
What _I_ particularly like in NWC is that I do NOT need to care for the layout. I don't care for where the break lines occurs for a simple reason : I use my scores in MANY differents printed formats. So starting to design my scores for such paper dimension, such setof staves,... would mean much more work.

To break the lines where you want though, refer to the 2 links I gave (plsu some others in the forum, which I do not remember).

If you use your score just for printing, you can insert a clef as a text item ('a' as text for TrebleClef, select NWCV15 in user1 font and set it to your item text) but you'll need to find out a convenient font size. (When I do this i usually take a smaller size than the real one). But I've never found that there was too much sapce before/after the clef... IMHO.

Hope this helps

Dominique

Reply #2
One improvement that could be introduced (wish list here I come) is that in printed music a clef change is usually indicated by a somewhat smaller clef sign than the one at the start of each line. This would help your problem.

Reply #3
Forcing line and page breaks is a common request, which cannot really be done now. You can fiddle with the staff font size, move the left and right margins, or if you have lyrics you can pad the last word in the line with trailing underscores to force the line to break sooner.

I also had the "inner voice" problem. You can consider using the experimental "Staff Layering" feature, described in the user tips and in some threads in the forum (you can search by keyword).