Skip to main content
Topic: Polish text (Read 5497 times) previous topic - next topic

Polish text

The son of a Polish friend composed a little piece of music. I entered it into Noteworthy, and tried to add lyrics. But when I copied the text from Word into Noteworthy, it came out wrong. The font we used in Word is Times New Roman. Does Word use special tricks that Noteworthy cannot do? Are there workarounds? For instance, a slashed L (which sounds like a w) is split into two characters, as are letters with dangling commas and dots.

Re: Polish text

Reply #1
>Does Word use special tricks

Yes, and it also supports Unicode, which NWC lyrics do not currently support.

Have you tried manually entering your lyrics to see if you can get the results you are after?

Reply #2
Indeed, the "special tricks" consist of merging two separate symbols from the font - which are not merged by non-tricky programs. If you had a font editor, you could see that the l and the slash are separate. Unicode is another issue.

Do not give up hope! There are fonts available, some free, that have Polish letters within the ISO-Latin code page, which NWC understands. You may need to use a character map to see the Polish, but I'm sure you have one.

Search the Internet. I believe there's a university in Oregon or Washington that has various language fonts, pre-Unicode. Many are for Mac, so be sure you read what you're getting.

Reply #3
Ah, Unicode - I should have guessed. I'll try to work things out when I get back to Holland. Thanks for the suggestions.
na sdrovia, Rob.

Reply #4
The place in Oregon is at the U there, specifically the Yamada language center. Its free Polish font is only for Mac (meaning pre-OSX). Also, some of the Windows fonts (for whichever language) are Type 1 PostScript, which won't do the job. There is a link to a shareware (not free) Windows font, and to a commercial producer of Polish fonts in (believe it or not) Japan. I would guess that those are Unicode fonts.

There is a guy who knows:

http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/poland.html

Luc's web site is the canonical source of info for just about anything related to fonts, however obscure. The above link isn't specific to Polish fonts for ISO-Latin, but includes anything font-related in the entire nation of Poland, as well as anything related to Poland and fonts in the known world.

Reply #5
While I have never had any luck with them, programs exist to convert a mac ttf to a windows ttf.  Google will turn up several freeware options.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #6
Hope you've solved the problem by now. If not, make sure you have Polish on your keyboard (you can choose different languages in Windows), then switch the keyboard into Polish and enter the text. In case you don't see what you have entered, open page setup, choose fonts and change the script from Western to Polish - it should work, I know it worked in Russian

Reply #7
Thanks. The problem went away, sort of thing, but I still want to show that it can be done, and restart some interest in Noteworthy over there. Just for the hell of it.