Skip to main content
Topic: Unwanted repeat on playback (Read 3915 times) previous topic - next topic

Unwanted repeat on playback

When I save a Noteworthy song to a midi file and then convert the midi
to a wave file, so that I can create a music CD of my song, the song will
replay automatically (as though the setting on the CD player is REPLAY).
This happens whether or not my composition has any flow direction or
repeat commands.  What I want is for the song to play and for the CD to
stop after the song is done.  Instead the song will play over and over
unless I manually stop the CD.  Eeeek.  Not what I want.

I use Midi2Wave to convert to a wave, and then EasyCDCreator to burn
the CD.

Is there some kind of special property for the ending bar?  I've hunted
through Midi2Wave and do not see a setting for "ending" the wave file -
ditto EasyCDCreator - although I could be missing something.

Any ideas?

Re: Unwanted repeat on playback

Reply #1
Well... let's see. If you save a file as MIDI file, you can play this file with the Windows Media Player, or with Van Basco's Karaoke Player. Other choices (many) exist.
Does the Media Player do the repeats as well? What if you play the CD on your computer: does that repeat?

Reply #2
Great trouble-shooting questions!  I should have gone through these steps myself.

The answer to both scenarios is yes, the repeat occurs.  Using MediaPlayer to play the midi file produces an endless loop - and playing the CD in the computer CD drive does the same thing.

(I like my song but even I get tired of the endless play LOL)

This suggests to me that I've done something wrong or left something out in Noteworthy - but I don't have a clue what that might be -

Thanks for your reply - I'm hoping you'll have other thoughts about things I might try.

Reply #3
Well duh.

My son just kindly pointed out that MediaPlayer was set to repeat and shuffle - since there is only one track on the CD, that meant repeat play of the same track.  I turned off the repeat and shuffle so that now neither the midi file nor the CD repeat using MediaPlayer.

However, I still have the repeat problem in a CD player (my Bose tabletop and my car stereo are 2 examples).

The file is SATB as orchestral staffs with an Upper Grand and a Lower Grand for the piano accompaniment.  The SATB are grouped as 'Vocal,' and the Grands are grouped as 'Standard.'  All staffs use ending bar 'Section Close.'

Thank you for any guidance!

Reply #4
It sounds too obvious, but what playback mode have you got your tabletop CD player and your car CD player set to?

The CD players can't interpret your NWC commands, so what you're hearing is either some sort of CD player repeat playback function, or, less likely, you somehow managed to record the same song several successive times on the same track.

Good luck.

Reply #5
I checked the settings on the car stereo and the tabletop player, and neither is set to repeat or shuffle.  I know this issue sounds like I'm someone who isn't technical at all, but I'm actually fairly tech-savvy...

Oh well - at this point, I guess I'll just keep poking around in the settings of the various applications I'm using to end up with an audio CD.  I surely have just overlooked something somewhere.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and for offering suggestions - I really appreciate it!

Reply #6
Barb, can you send us both the song file (nwc) and the sound file (wav), using http://yousendit.com ?

You have to send them singly, just email them to yourself, then copy the links into a reply to this message.

The next 25 people to access those links over the next week can download the two files, and maybe figure out what the problem is.