Skip to main content
Topic: Author vs. Composer (Read 9608 times) previous topic - next topic

Author vs. Composer

We installed the preview tonight, and are impressed with all the work that's gone into it. We look forward to the official version 2 release!

Although tonight's scan was a just quick first look, we do have one suggestion already:

In the File-Info dialog box, we (& probably many others), would strongly recommend it show the label "Composer" rather than "Author." The word "author" is too easily confused with the author of the words, rather than the music. Yes, we know, there is a lyricist field, too, but (in our humble opinion), "Composer" more clearly states the intent of the field.

Re: Author vs. Composer

Reply #1
While we're at it, I would like NWC to stop referring to everything I compose as a "song."
Of the 800+ pieces I've composed, only 42 are songs.
Maybe version 2.1...

Reply #2
Composer (Music by)
Lyricist (Lyrics or Words by)
Arranger (Arranged by)
Sequencing or Notation by

Interesting to note:
---------------------------
Musicals refer to the text author as Lyrics by
Pop songs refer to the text author as Words by

Reply #3
Also forgot to add....

"Piano Man" created by Billy Joel would be referred as

Music by Billy Joel

"My First Piano Piece" created by some little kid

Music by Baby Huey

--> However:

Sonata No.14 in C#min "Moonlight Sonata" (Op.27 No.2)

Composed by Ludwig van Beethoven

"A Tree for my Bed" from Jurassic Park

Composed by John Williams

Reply #4
I personally don't have any druthers one way or the other if it's "Author" or "Composer" or "Writer" or "Notationist" or "Creator" or whatever.  I was very pleased to see the additional "Lyricist" field in the version 2 preview, however.  Now, if we could only get them to add an "Arranged by" field to be displayed in the lower left-hand corner of the first page....

Reply #5
....and I could use  larger copyright info fields, as I have mentioned elsewhere (though I'm to lazy just now to look for the reference).

Reply #6
I think it's traditional in concert band music to place the arranger's name very close to the composer's name.  I don't see much in the way of lyrics, but generally, I think the composer, arranger and lyricist names are usually clustered in one or the other top corner, lower than the title in the commercially published material.  Copyright info is usually at the centre bottom of the page.

Reply #7
By the way, I think "author" is the word used in Canada's copyright law, but that is the only time I've ever seen it used to describe a composer or lyricist.

Reply #8
That description  "songs" seems to be very popular in the modern music/synthesiser area, but it it annoys me when it is actually just music!

Reply #9
"song" is a very handy word though, it is monosyllabic and has meaning only pertainig to music, but "piece" has multiple meanings and "composition" is a word too long for those as lazy as I.

Reply #10
But it's only a song if it is meant to be sung.
My symphonies, brass quintets, jazz band pieces, and the like are not songs.

Reply #12
I doubt the Australians would like "pom"

Reply #13
I dunno for Australians, but here it'd sound as an Apple...

"Lyricist (Lyrics or Words by)" : so if it's pop, it's not lyric? Funny...

I thought Pianoman(.com, or .exe?) was composed (created?) by some early programmer in the '80s...  I still must have a 5.25'' floppy disk with this. (And yes, I also have the disk drive for it, too)

Wouldn't "piece" be a good name? Or "file", after all we're on computers' disks...

Reply #14
My piano works are not songs, but I don't get upset when someone calls them that.  If someone says, "Play that song that you made up," I just play it.  I might be a little upset that they didn't say "composed," though.  Your right, "The Cyber Hymnal", it should be composer.  But I do know this: Scott Joplin signs himself as the author, not composer.

Reply #15
I don't know, it seems to me that "author" was a nice compromise of the various choices mentioned in this thread.  And besides, this is just a field in a dialog box in the program.  The term "author" is never actually printed out, just the value of the field.  And since "lyricist" is right below it, and there's no other field for someone associated with the composition of the piece/song/work/etc, then it shouldn't be too confusing.

However, if this seems to be a real problem, and people are really passionate about it, it seems to me that Eric could easily give people a setting to type in whatever they want to see in that dialog box.  Of course, that opens up the can of worms for all labels in all dialog boxes and then support becomes a nightmare, but it was just a thought.  The default could be "Author", but maybe you could have it say something else in the setup options.

Thanks,

John