Skip to main content
Topic: Jeux Fonts (Read 3919 times) previous topic - next topic

Jeux Fonts

How do I load jeux and similar fonts on a laptop, without a sound card? at least, I don't think it has a sound card.

Philip

Re: Jeux Fonts

Reply #1
Even if your laptop does have a sound card, it almost certainly won’t support sound fonts (and the external Audigy 2NX USB sound card is no good for use with soundfonts like Jeux).  You would need to install a software synthesizer such as SynthFont – but unfortunately SynthFont doesn’t seem to work too well with Jeux.  I did mess about with a demo of SurReal a year or two ago, but it was no good with Jeux on my rather old laptop because of severe polyphony limitations.  I believe your only realistic solution if you want to use Jeux is to get a desktop computer fitted with a Soundblaster Live or Audigy sound card.

Reply #2
One thing is for sure: if you do not have a sound card on your laptop, you probably will not find much use for sound fonts or other audio technologies. However, if your laptop is less than 10 years old, it would be very unusual for it not to have a sound card integrated into it.

Reply #3
Firstly, may I apologise, because I have asked this question on the NWC2 forum, not realising its relevance here.
I have downloaded AWE=organ sound font and I have a Soundblaster Live card. but I do not have any idea of what to do next to get the font available to me in NWC or NWC2
Tony

Reply #4
You will need to load the soundfont in the Audio HQ application that came with the Live.
For info on how to use soundfonts go here
http://listen.to/sblive
On the main page use the link "MIDI and Music" under Information in the menu at left.
Then follow the link "Soundfonts..How to"
On each page of the tutorial follow the link to the next page at the bottom.

Make sure you browse around the site - there is a lot of valuable info on the Live and Audigy range of cards.

When you have done this come back here and ask how to access the soundfont through NWC.

Reply #5
Hopefully this will point you in the right direction:
To load a sound font in a straight SBLive Player 1024 or SBLive Value sound card:
1.  Make sure that the file extension is .sf2.  If the file you downloaded is compressed with winzip or winrar, etc. you need to unpack it.
2.  Open your SBLive AudioHQ.  (if you don’t have a shortcut it is probably at c:\program Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\audiohq.exe – open this application)
3.  Double click on the Sound Font icon to open a window headed SoundFont-AudioHQ
4.  The ‘Configure Bank’ tab should already be selected.  Open the ‘Bank Configuration Select Bank’ drop down menu and select (highlight) an empty bank – say Bank 20.
5.  Click on ‘Load’, and browse to locate your AWEorgan sound font.  Highlight it and click on ‘Select’.

The sound font is now loaded and ready to use.

(If you get a “not enough cache/memory” message, click on the ‘Options’ tab and move the SoundFont cache slider to a suitable value to accommodate the sound font, and try loading it again.)

To audition the sound font in NWC:
1.  Create a new, or open an existing NWC file.
2.  Highlight a stave, and immediately before the first note or chord, click on the ‘Insert’ menu.  Select ‘Instrument Patch’ to get the ‘Notation Properties’ window.
3.  Where it says ‘Bank Select’, put a tick in the box next to ‘Select a Patch Bank’, and in the Controller 0: box, insert ‘20’.

Instead of hearing the GM sounds on the selected staff, you will now hear the sounds belonging to the sound font that is in Bank 20.  Ideally, you should edit the file NWC.INI to include the names of the stops in the AWEorgan sound font, so that you can select what you want, but for an initial experiment I suggest you simply choose the Patch List Type ‘Numeric Based’ and try different sounds, e.g. select ‘1’ and click OK to insert instrument patch no. 1 in your highlighted staff.

I don’t have AWEorgan, but I do have Jeux, and I have an edited NWC.INI that I could e-mail you if you care to work with Jeux which I think you will find is far superior to AWEorgan.

Reply #6
barry and Graham,
Thank you both for your informative replies.
Graham, I would like to take you up on your offer of Jeux, I can be reached at HTonysmedley@AOL.com

Reply #7
Re my last post: For NCW.INI please read NTWPATCH.INI.  Sorry for this silly mistake!